RE: [PBML] Perl and regular expressions?

  • Edward Willekens
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 30, 2011
      under the assumption that filename is all characters (no numbers)

      $f="abcd123112299";
      $f=~s/([\a]*)([0-9][0-9][0-9])(.*)/$1$3$2/;
      print $f."\n";

      Regards,
        Edward Willekens

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 31, 2011

        Edward> under the assumption that filename is all characters (no numbers)
        Edward> $f="abcd123112299";
        Edward> $f=~s/([\a]*)([0-9][0-9][0-9])(.*)/$1$3$2/;
        Edward> print $f."\n";

        and /\d/ is the same as /[0-9]/, and a lot easier to type.

      • Shlomi Fish
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
          Hi Randal, Edward, and all.

          This message is in UTF-8.

          On Thursday 31 Mar 2011 15:43:42 merlyn@... wrote:
          > Edward> under the assumption that filename is all characters (no numbers)
          > Edward> $f="abcd123112299";
          > Edward> $f=~s/([\a]*)([0-9][0-9][0-9])(.*)/$1$3$2/;
          > Edward> print $f."\n";
          >
          > and /\d/ is the same as /[0-9]/, and a lot easier to type.

          Well, just to be a bit pedantic: \d matches any digit character in Unicode. As
          a result:

          [IRC_LOG]
          Mar 25 19:42:18 <rindolf> perlbot: eval: ["٣" =~ /\d/ ? "Match" :
          "Nomatch"]
          Mar 25 19:42:21 <perlbot> rindolf: ["Match"]
          Mar 25 19:42:24 <rindolf> Yay!
          [/IRC_LOG]

          "٣" is the digit "3" in
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu%E2%80%93Arabic_numeral_system which is used
          in Written Arabic, among other contexts. Naturally, there are also probably
          calculator digits in Unicode, and various other variations of digits which \d
          will happily match.

          So [0-9] is sometimes a safer choice, if you wish to avoid ASCIIification
          and/or cultural imperialism.

          Give me ASCII or give me deaþ!

          Regards,

          Shlomi Fish

        • Tim Lewis
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 7, 2011
            This may be a simple question, but I have searched for this answer.
            Suppose I have a multi-di array. I can make it sort by any one element. But what I need to sort by two? In my simple example below, what if I wanted to sort by the animal name, and then by number of legs? I am grateful for any help or tips on this.

            #!/usr/local/bin/perl
            use strict;
            use warnings;

            my @critters; #multi-di with animal name and number of legs
            $critters[0][0] = "dog";
            $critters[0][1] = "4";
            $critters[1][0] = "cat";
            $critters[1][1] = "4";
            $critters[2][0] = "monkey";
            $critters[2][1] = "2";

            #I know I can sort by any one field with
            @critters = sort { $a->[0] cmp $b->[0] } @critters;
            my $critterCount= @critters;
            for (my $count=0;$count<$critterCount;$count++) {
            print "The critter $critters[$count][0] has $critters[$count][1] legs\n";
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 7, 2011

              Tim> Suppose I have a multi-di array. I can make it sort by any one
              Tim> element. But what I need to sort by two? In my simple example
              Tim> below, what if I wanted to sort by the animal name, and then by
              Tim> number of legs? I am grateful for any help or tips on this.

              Since that can be interpreted two ways, I'm going to pretend you
              actually said "with the major sort by animal name, using the number of
              legs to break ties as a secondary sort".

              Tim> my @critters; #multi-di with animal name and number of legs
              Tim> $critters[0][0] = "dog";
              Tim> $critters[0][1] = "4";
              Tim> $critters[1][0] = "cat";
              Tim> $critters[1][1] = "4";
              Tim> $critters[2][0] = "monkey";
              Tim> $critters[2][1] = "2";

              my @sorted = sort {
              $a->[0] cmp $b->[0]
              or $a->[1] <=> $b->[1];
              } @critters;

              This is covered in the Alpaca book.

              And now, for the traditional "don't post here" comment:

              *
              * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
              *
              * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
              * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
              *
              * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
              *

            • Tim Lewis
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 7, 2011
                Thanks Randall. I was close. I was using "cmp" instead of <=> for the number portion.

                Thanks again.
                I did not know about the other listserver, and found this one on Yahoo. I will check out the other one.

                Tim