Re: [PBML] Perl and regular expressions?

  • Tim Lewis
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 29 7:00 AM
      Is it delimited by spaces? One option:
      my $fileName = "myfile 123 032911";
      my @filePieces = split(/ /,$fileName);
      my $newFileName = $filePieces[0] . " " . $filePieces[2] . " " . $filePieces[1];
      print "newFileName is $newFileName\n";

      ---- keithdlee2000 <keithdlee@...> wrote:
      > All:
      > I am having problems attempting to change the name of a file from -- filename (nnn) date to filename date (nnn). I am attempting to change the files using Perl's regular expressions. Does anyone have any clues on this?
      >

      > Keith Lee

    • Rajagopal, Jay
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 29 7:20 AM
        ***Is it delimited by spaces?***
        :-)

        my $newFileName = $filePieces[0] . " " . $filePieces[2] . " " . $filePieces[1]; print "newFileName is $newFileName\n";

        ---- keithdlee2000 <keithdlee@...> wrote:
        > All:
        > I am having problems attempting to change the name of a file from -- filename (nnn) date to filename date (nnn). I am attempting to change the files using Perl's regular expressions. Does anyone have any clues on this?
        >

        > Keith Lee

        T. Rowe Price (including T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. and its affiliates) and its associates do not provide legal or tax advice. Any tax-related discussion contained in this e-mail, including any attachments, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to any other party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Please consult your independent legal counsel and/or professional tax advisor regarding any legal or tax issues raised in this e-mail.

        The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.
      • Tim Lewis
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 29 8:51 AM
          I realize it was grabbing at straws, but if the file has a space between the sections, then it would be easy to parse and reassembly. Just trying to help a brother out :)

          ---- "Rajagopal wrote:
          > ***Is it delimited by spaces?***
          > :-)

        • Edward Willekens
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 30 10:29 PM
            under the assumption that filename is all characters (no numbers)

            $f="abcd123112299";
            $f=~s/([\a]*)([0-9][0-9][0-9])(.*)/$1$3$2/;
            print $f."\n";

            Regards,
              Edward Willekens

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 31 6:43 AM

              Edward> under the assumption that filename is all characters (no numbers)
              Edward> $f="abcd123112299";
              Edward> $f=~s/([\a]*)([0-9][0-9][0-9])(.*)/$1$3$2/;
              Edward> print $f."\n";

              and /\d/ is the same as /[0-9]/, and a lot easier to type.

            • Shlomi Fish
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                Hi Randal, Edward, and all.

                This message is in UTF-8.

                On Thursday 31 Mar 2011 15:43:42 merlyn@... wrote:
                > Edward> under the assumption that filename is all characters (no numbers)
                > Edward> $f="abcd123112299";
                > Edward> $f=~s/([\a]*)([0-9][0-9][0-9])(.*)/$1$3$2/;
                > Edward> print $f."\n";
                >
                > and /\d/ is the same as /[0-9]/, and a lot easier to type.

                Well, just to be a bit pedantic: \d matches any digit character in Unicode. As
                a result:

                [IRC_LOG]
                Mar 25 19:42:18 <rindolf> perlbot: eval: ["٣" =~ /\d/ ? "Match" :
                "Nomatch"]
                Mar 25 19:42:21 <perlbot> rindolf: ["Match"]
                Mar 25 19:42:24 <rindolf> Yay!
                [/IRC_LOG]

                "٣" is the digit "3" in
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu%E2%80%93Arabic_numeral_system which is used
                in Written Arabic, among other contexts. Naturally, there are also probably
                calculator digits in Unicode, and various other variations of digits which \d
                will happily match.

                So [0-9] is sometimes a safer choice, if you wish to avoid ASCIIification
                and/or cultural imperialism.

                Give me ASCII or give me deaþ!

                Regards,

                Shlomi Fish

              • Tim Lewis
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 7, 2011
                  This may be a simple question, but I have searched for this answer.
                  Suppose I have a multi-di array. I can make it sort by any one element. But what I need to sort by two? In my simple example below, what if I wanted to sort by the animal name, and then by number of legs? I am grateful for any help or tips on this.

                  #!/usr/local/bin/perl
                  use strict;
                  use warnings;

                  my @critters; #multi-di with animal name and number of legs
                  $critters[0][0] = "dog";
                  $critters[0][1] = "4";
                  $critters[1][0] = "cat";
                  $critters[1][1] = "4";
                  $critters[2][0] = "monkey";
                  $critters[2][1] = "2";

                  #I know I can sort by any one field with
                  @critters = sort { $a->[0] cmp $b->[0] } @critters;
                  my $critterCount= @critters;
                  for (my $count=0;$count<$critterCount;$count++) {
                  print "The critter $critters[$count][0] has $critters[$count][1] legs\n";
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 7, 2011

                    Tim> Suppose I have a multi-di array. I can make it sort by any one
                    Tim> element. But what I need to sort by two? In my simple example
                    Tim> below, what if I wanted to sort by the animal name, and then by
                    Tim> number of legs? I am grateful for any help or tips on this.

                    Since that can be interpreted two ways, I'm going to pretend you
                    actually said "with the major sort by animal name, using the number of
                    legs to break ties as a secondary sort".

                    Tim> my @critters; #multi-di with animal name and number of legs
                    Tim> $critters[0][0] = "dog";
                    Tim> $critters[0][1] = "4";
                    Tim> $critters[1][0] = "cat";
                    Tim> $critters[1][1] = "4";
                    Tim> $critters[2][0] = "monkey";
                    Tim> $critters[2][1] = "2";

                    my @sorted = sort {
                    $a->[0] cmp $b->[0]
                    or $a->[1] <=> $b->[1];
                    } @critters;

                    This is covered in the Alpaca book.

                    And now, for the traditional "don't post here" comment:

                    *
                    * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
                    *
                    * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
                    * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
                    *
                    * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
                    *

                  • Tim Lewis
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 7, 2011
                      Thanks Randall. I was close. I was using "cmp" instead of <=> for the number portion.

                      Thanks again.
                      I did not know about the other listserver, and found this one on Yahoo. I will check out the other one.

                      Tim