RE: [PBML] Perl and regular expressions?

  • Rajagopal, Jay
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 28, 2011
      Please send code of what you are doing. And varying samples of the file name.
      Given a file name with such a format, how you define which is (nnn) ?

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 28, 2011
        On 3/28/2011 3:15 PM, keithdlee2000 wrote:

        > I am having problems attempting to change the name of a file from --
        > filename (nnn) date to filename date (nnn). I am attempting to change
        > the files using Perl's regular expressions. Does anyone have any clues
        > on this?

        What have you tried?

        What is some representative sample data?

        What is that data supposed to look like when done?

        Charles Clarkson
        --
        Mobile Home Investor
        Free Market Advocate

        I'm not really a smart person. I just play one on the Internet.

        Stephenville, TX
        http://twitter.com/CharlesClarkson
        +1 (254) 968-8328
      • Tim Lewis
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 29, 2011
          Is it delimited by spaces? One option:
          my $fileName = "myfile 123 032911";
          my @filePieces = split(/ /,$fileName);
          my $newFileName = $filePieces[0] . " " . $filePieces[2] . " " . $filePieces[1];
          print "newFileName is $newFileName\n";

          ---- keithdlee2000 <keithdlee@...> wrote:
          > All:
          > I am having problems attempting to change the name of a file from -- filename (nnn) date to filename date (nnn). I am attempting to change the files using Perl's regular expressions. Does anyone have any clues on this?
          >

          > Keith Lee

        • Rajagopal, Jay
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 29, 2011
            ***Is it delimited by spaces?***
            :-)

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 29, 2011
              I realize it was grabbing at straws, but if the file has a space between the sections, then it would be easy to parse and reassembly. Just trying to help a brother out :)

              ---- "Rajagopal wrote:
              > ***Is it delimited by spaces?***
              > :-)

            • Edward Willekens
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 30, 2011
                under the assumption that filename is all characters (no numbers)

                $f="abcd123112299";
                $f=~s/([\a]*)([0-9][0-9][0-9])(.*)/$1$3$2/;
                print $f."\n";

                Regards,
                  Edward Willekens

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 31, 2011

                  Edward> under the assumption that filename is all characters (no numbers)
                  Edward> $f="abcd123112299";
                  Edward> $f=~s/([\a]*)([0-9][0-9][0-9])(.*)/$1$3$2/;
                  Edward> print $f."\n";

                  and /\d/ is the same as /[0-9]/, and a lot easier to type.

                • Shlomi Fish
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                    Hi Randal, Edward, and all.

                    This message is in UTF-8.

                    On Thursday 31 Mar 2011 15:43:42 merlyn@... wrote:
                    > Edward> under the assumption that filename is all characters (no numbers)
                    > Edward> $f="abcd123112299";
                    > Edward> $f=~s/([\a]*)([0-9][0-9][0-9])(.*)/$1$3$2/;
                    > Edward> print $f."\n";
                    >
                    > and /\d/ is the same as /[0-9]/, and a lot easier to type.

                    Well, just to be a bit pedantic: \d matches any digit character in Unicode. As
                    a result:

                    [IRC_LOG]
                    Mar 25 19:42:18 <rindolf> perlbot: eval: ["٣" =~ /\d/ ? "Match" :
                    "Nomatch"]
                    Mar 25 19:42:21 <perlbot> rindolf: ["Match"]
                    Mar 25 19:42:24 <rindolf> Yay!
                    [/IRC_LOG]

                    "٣" is the digit "3" in
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu%E2%80%93Arabic_numeral_system which is used
                    in Written Arabic, among other contexts. Naturally, there are also probably
                    calculator digits in Unicode, and various other variations of digits which \d
                    will happily match.

                    So [0-9] is sometimes a safer choice, if you wish to avoid ASCIIification
                    and/or cultural imperialism.

                    Give me ASCII or give me deaþ!

                    Regards,

                    Shlomi Fish

                  • Tim Lewis
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 7, 2011
                      This may be a simple question, but I have searched for this answer.
                      Suppose I have a multi-di array. I can make it sort by any one element. But what I need to sort by two? In my simple example below, what if I wanted to sort by the animal name, and then by number of legs? I am grateful for any help or tips on this.

                      #!/usr/local/bin/perl
                      use strict;
                      use warnings;

                      my @critters; #multi-di with animal name and number of legs
                      $critters[0][0] = "dog";
                      $critters[0][1] = "4";
                      $critters[1][0] = "cat";
                      $critters[1][1] = "4";
                      $critters[2][0] = "monkey";
                      $critters[2][1] = "2";

                      #I know I can sort by any one field with
                      @critters = sort { $a->[0] cmp $b->[0] } @critters;
                      my $critterCount= @critters;
                      for (my $count=0;$count<$critterCount;$count++) {
                      print "The critter $critters[$count][0] has $critters[$count][1] legs\n";
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 7, 2011

                        Tim> Suppose I have a multi-di array. I can make it sort by any one
                        Tim> element. But what I need to sort by two? In my simple example
                        Tim> below, what if I wanted to sort by the animal name, and then by
                        Tim> number of legs? I am grateful for any help or tips on this.

                        Since that can be interpreted two ways, I'm going to pretend you
                        actually said "with the major sort by animal name, using the number of
                        legs to break ties as a secondary sort".

                        Tim> my @critters; #multi-di with animal name and number of legs
                        Tim> $critters[0][0] = "dog";
                        Tim> $critters[0][1] = "4";
                        Tim> $critters[1][0] = "cat";
                        Tim> $critters[1][1] = "4";
                        Tim> $critters[2][0] = "monkey";
                        Tim> $critters[2][1] = "2";

                        my @sorted = sort {
                        $a->[0] cmp $b->[0]
                        or $a->[1] <=> $b->[1];
                        } @critters;

                        This is covered in the Alpaca book.

                        And now, for the traditional "don't post here" comment:

                        *
                        * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
                        *
                        * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
                        * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
                        *
                        * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
                        *

                      • Tim Lewis
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 7, 2011
                          Thanks Randall. I was close. I was using "cmp" instead of <=> for the number portion.

                          Thanks again.
                          I did not know about the other listserver, and found this one on Yahoo. I will check out the other one.

                          Tim