Re: [PBML] Perl Application Server????

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011

      Wendell>          if there would be interest in building a true
      Wendell> Open-Source Perl Application Server Project on top of your
      Wendell> Plack Server that has a messaging queues,clustering, database
      Wendell> connections,web services along with other built in processes
      Wendell> that make it easy to build,plug in and deploy a Perl Web
      Wendell> Application?

      Wendell>       This Application Server would also have ways to monitor
      Wendell> the applications memory and thread processing. Please let me
      Wendell> know your thoughts on this and if creating an Open-Source
      Wendell> project doing this would make sense? I would love to be a part
      Wendell> of it and assist with creating such an application. I think
      Wendell> this Application Server should also take advantage of the
      Wendell> native O.S.`s libraries and the Perl compilers ability to
      Wendell> process code.

      This sounds like things that have been done over and over again in the
      Perl world. Again, how much time have you spent looking at the CPAN for
      the pieces you need?

      --
      Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777
      0095 <merlyn@...> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011
        Randal,

                        I was not aware that there is an PAR deployment Perl Application Server out there? I  sent out this email to gather thoughts and see if it has already been done or if others would be interested in creating an Application Server. I haven't gone through the steps of gather modules and building out the project yet. I wanted to get the thoughts of others who if this is or is not a good idea?

        -Wendell

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011

          Wendell>                 I was not aware that there is an PAR deployment
          Wendell> Perl Application Server out there? I  sent out this email to
          Wendell> gather thoughts and see if it has already been done or if
          Wendell> others would be interested in creating an Application Server. I
          Wendell> haven't gone through the steps of gather modules and building
          Wendell> out the project yet. I wanted to get the thoughts of others who
          Wendell> if this is or is not a good idea?

          Stop using the word "Application Server".

          Say exactly what you think it is. How would it interface with mod_perl?
          How would it interface with other modules? How would it help
          developers? What features does it supply, and what features does it
          need from other pieces?

          The problem is that "Application Server" can mean almost anything.

          That's what I asked for you to do two mails ago. That'll help us
          communicate.