Re: [PBML] Perl Application Server????

  • Wendell Hatcher
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011
      Hi Randal,

               if there would be interest in building a true Open-Source Perl Application Server Project on top of your Plack Server that has a messaging queues,clustering, database connections,web services along with other built in processes that make it easy to build,plug in and deploy a Perl Web Application?

            This Application Server would also have ways to monitor the applications memory and thread processing. Please let me know your thoughts on this and if creating an Open-Source project doing this would make sense? I would love to be a part of it and assist with creating such an application. I think this Application Server should also take advantage of the native O.S.`s libraries and the Perl compilers ability to process code.

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011

        Wendell>          if there would be interest in building a true
        Wendell> Open-Source Perl Application Server Project on top of your
        Wendell> Plack Server that has a messaging queues,clustering, database
        Wendell> connections,web services along with other built in processes
        Wendell> that make it easy to build,plug in and deploy a Perl Web
        Wendell> Application?

        Wendell>       This Application Server would also have ways to monitor
        Wendell> the applications memory and thread processing. Please let me
        Wendell> know your thoughts on this and if creating an Open-Source
        Wendell> project doing this would make sense? I would love to be a part
        Wendell> of it and assist with creating such an application. I think
        Wendell> this Application Server should also take advantage of the
        Wendell> native O.S.`s libraries and the Perl compilers ability to
        Wendell> process code.

        This sounds like things that have been done over and over again in the
        Perl world. Again, how much time have you spent looking at the CPAN for
        the pieces you need?

        --
        Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777
        0095 <merlyn@...> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011
          Randal,

                          I was not aware that there is an PAR deployment Perl Application Server out there? I  sent out this email to gather thoughts and see if it has already been done or if others would be interested in creating an Application Server. I haven't gone through the steps of gather modules and building out the project yet. I wanted to get the thoughts of others who if this is or is not a good idea?

          -Wendell

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011

            Wendell>                 I was not aware that there is an PAR deployment
            Wendell> Perl Application Server out there? I  sent out this email to
            Wendell> gather thoughts and see if it has already been done or if
            Wendell> others would be interested in creating an Application Server. I
            Wendell> haven't gone through the steps of gather modules and building
            Wendell> out the project yet. I wanted to get the thoughts of others who
            Wendell> if this is or is not a good idea?

            Stop using the word "Application Server".

            Say exactly what you think it is. How would it interface with mod_perl?
            How would it interface with other modules? How would it help
            developers? What features does it supply, and what features does it
            need from other pieces?

            The problem is that "Application Server" can mean almost anything.

            That's what I asked for you to do two mails ago. That'll help us
            communicate.