Perl Application Server????

  • Wendell Hatcher
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 27, 2011
      Has anyone thought about building a Perl Application Server? If it has been done then can someone direct me to the application?

      Has

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 27, 2011

        Wendell> Has anyone thought about building a Perl Application Server? If
        Wendell> it has been done then can someone direct me to the application?

        What specific meaning are you attributing to those buzzwords?

      • Wendell Hatcher
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011
          Hi Randal,

                   if there would be interest in building a true Open-Source Perl Application Server Project on top of your Plack Server that has a messaging queues,clustering, database connections,web services along with other built in processes that make it easy to build,plug in and deploy a Perl Web Application?

                This Application Server would also have ways to monitor the applications memory and thread processing. Please let me know your thoughts on this and if creating an Open-Source project doing this would make sense? I would love to be a part of it and assist with creating such an application. I think this Application Server should also take advantage of the native O.S.`s libraries and the Perl compilers ability to process code.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011

            Wendell>          if there would be interest in building a true
            Wendell> Open-Source Perl Application Server Project on top of your
            Wendell> Plack Server that has a messaging queues,clustering, database
            Wendell> connections,web services along with other built in processes
            Wendell> that make it easy to build,plug in and deploy a Perl Web
            Wendell> Application?

            Wendell>       This Application Server would also have ways to monitor
            Wendell> the applications memory and thread processing. Please let me
            Wendell> know your thoughts on this and if creating an Open-Source
            Wendell> project doing this would make sense? I would love to be a part
            Wendell> of it and assist with creating such an application. I think
            Wendell> this Application Server should also take advantage of the
            Wendell> native O.S.`s libraries and the Perl compilers ability to
            Wendell> process code.

            This sounds like things that have been done over and over again in the
            Perl world. Again, how much time have you spent looking at the CPAN for
            the pieces you need?

            --
            Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777
            0095 <merlyn@...> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011
              Randal,

                              I was not aware that there is an PAR deployment Perl Application Server out there? I  sent out this email to gather thoughts and see if it has already been done or if others would be interested in creating an Application Server. I haven't gone through the steps of gather modules and building out the project yet. I wanted to get the thoughts of others who if this is or is not a good idea?

              -Wendell

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011

                Wendell>                 I was not aware that there is an PAR deployment
                Wendell> Perl Application Server out there? I  sent out this email to
                Wendell> gather thoughts and see if it has already been done or if
                Wendell> others would be interested in creating an Application Server. I
                Wendell> haven't gone through the steps of gather modules and building
                Wendell> out the project yet. I wanted to get the thoughts of others who
                Wendell> if this is or is not a good idea?

                Stop using the word "Application Server".

                Say exactly what you think it is. How would it interface with mod_perl?
                How would it interface with other modules? How would it help
                developers? What features does it supply, and what features does it
                need from other pieces?

                The problem is that "Application Server" can mean almost anything.

                That's what I asked for you to do two mails ago. That'll help us
                communicate.