Re: [PBML] Re: PERL cgi script killed by apache on client abort

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 27, 2011
      >>>>> "prejf" == prejf <przemek@...> writes:

      prejf> I tried forking and run the upload hook in the child
      prejf> process. Tried detaching it from parent with setsid. But it was
      prejf> killed anyway. I could fork and make only misc stuff in children
      prejf> but i would need to somehow catch the SIGPIPE signal so i know
      prejf> the upload was aborted. Is there a way to triger some action when
      prejf> the script recives a SIGPIPE ?

      "perldoc perlipc" has all the details of catching signals.

    • Wendell Hatcher
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 27, 2011
        Has anyone thought about building a Perl Application Server? If it has been done then can someone direct me to the application?

        Has

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 27, 2011

          Wendell> Has anyone thought about building a Perl Application Server? If
          Wendell> it has been done then can someone direct me to the application?

          What specific meaning are you attributing to those buzzwords?

        • Wendell Hatcher
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011
            Hi Randal,

                     if there would be interest in building a true Open-Source Perl Application Server Project on top of your Plack Server that has a messaging queues,clustering, database connections,web services along with other built in processes that make it easy to build,plug in and deploy a Perl Web Application?

                  This Application Server would also have ways to monitor the applications memory and thread processing. Please let me know your thoughts on this and if creating an Open-Source project doing this would make sense? I would love to be a part of it and assist with creating such an application. I think this Application Server should also take advantage of the native O.S.`s libraries and the Perl compilers ability to process code.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011

              Wendell>          if there would be interest in building a true
              Wendell> Open-Source Perl Application Server Project on top of your
              Wendell> Plack Server that has a messaging queues,clustering, database
              Wendell> connections,web services along with other built in processes
              Wendell> that make it easy to build,plug in and deploy a Perl Web
              Wendell> Application?

              Wendell>       This Application Server would also have ways to monitor
              Wendell> the applications memory and thread processing. Please let me
              Wendell> know your thoughts on this and if creating an Open-Source
              Wendell> project doing this would make sense? I would love to be a part
              Wendell> of it and assist with creating such an application. I think
              Wendell> this Application Server should also take advantage of the
              Wendell> native O.S.`s libraries and the Perl compilers ability to
              Wendell> process code.

              This sounds like things that have been done over and over again in the
              Perl world. Again, how much time have you spent looking at the CPAN for
              the pieces you need?

              --
              Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777
              0095 <merlyn@...> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011
                Randal,

                                I was not aware that there is an PAR deployment Perl Application Server out there? I  sent out this email to gather thoughts and see if it has already been done or if others would be interested in creating an Application Server. I haven't gone through the steps of gather modules and building out the project yet. I wanted to get the thoughts of others who if this is or is not a good idea?

                -Wendell

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 28, 2011

                  Wendell>                 I was not aware that there is an PAR deployment
                  Wendell> Perl Application Server out there? I  sent out this email to
                  Wendell> gather thoughts and see if it has already been done or if
                  Wendell> others would be interested in creating an Application Server. I
                  Wendell> haven't gone through the steps of gather modules and building
                  Wendell> out the project yet. I wanted to get the thoughts of others who
                  Wendell> if this is or is not a good idea?

                  Stop using the word "Application Server".

                  Say exactly what you think it is. How would it interface with mod_perl?
                  How would it interface with other modules? How would it help
                  developers? What features does it supply, and what features does it
                  need from other pieces?

                  The problem is that "Application Server" can mean almost anything.

                  That's what I asked for you to do two mails ago. That'll help us
                  communicate.