Re: [PBML] PERL cgi script killed by apache on client abort

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 26 8:26 AM
      >>>>> "prejf" == prejf <przemek@...> writes:

      prejf> I'm thinking its the fault of apache, because without abort the
      prejf> script works just fine. Does anyone have any clue about it ?

      In general, if the client goes away, and the script generates output,
      Apache will send a SIGPIPE signal to the script. By default, this
      terminates the script (which is usually a good thing). If you have to
      perform tasks *after* the client might have gone away, you'll need to
      fork and run the task in the background.

      And now for my normal PSA:

      *
      * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
      *
      * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
      * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
      *
      * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
      *

      And in fact, there's a list just for beginners-cgi, named thusly.

    • prejf
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 27 5:09 AM
        I tried forking and run the upload hook in the child process. Tried detaching it from parent with setsid. But it was killed anyway. I could fork and make only misc stuff in children but i would need to somehow catch the SIGPIPE signal so i know the upload was aborted. Is there a way to triger some action when the script recives a SIGPIPE ?

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 27 7:28 AM

          prejf> I tried forking and run the upload hook in the child
          prejf> process. Tried detaching it from parent with setsid. But it was
          prejf> killed anyway. I could fork and make only misc stuff in children
          prejf> but i would need to somehow catch the SIGPIPE signal so i know
          prejf> the upload was aborted. Is there a way to triger some action when
          prejf> the script recives a SIGPIPE ?

          "perldoc perlipc" has all the details of catching signals.

        • Wendell Hatcher
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 27 6:44 PM
            Has anyone thought about building a Perl Application Server? If it has been done then can someone direct me to the application?

            Has

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 27 8:40 PM

              Wendell> Has anyone thought about building a Perl Application Server? If
              Wendell> it has been done then can someone direct me to the application?

              What specific meaning are you attributing to those buzzwords?

            • Wendell Hatcher
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 28 4:35 PM
                Hi Randal,

                         if there would be interest in building a true Open-Source Perl Application Server Project on top of your Plack Server that has a messaging queues,clustering, database connections,web services along with other built in processes that make it easy to build,plug in and deploy a Perl Web Application?

                      This Application Server would also have ways to monitor the applications memory and thread processing. Please let me know your thoughts on this and if creating an Open-Source project doing this would make sense? I would love to be a part of it and assist with creating such an application. I think this Application Server should also take advantage of the native O.S.`s libraries and the Perl compilers ability to process code.

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 28 4:40 PM

                  Wendell>          if there would be interest in building a true
                  Wendell> Open-Source Perl Application Server Project on top of your
                  Wendell> Plack Server that has a messaging queues,clustering, database
                  Wendell> connections,web services along with other built in processes
                  Wendell> that make it easy to build,plug in and deploy a Perl Web
                  Wendell> Application?

                  Wendell>       This Application Server would also have ways to monitor
                  Wendell> the applications memory and thread processing. Please let me
                  Wendell> know your thoughts on this and if creating an Open-Source
                  Wendell> project doing this would make sense? I would love to be a part
                  Wendell> of it and assist with creating such an application. I think
                  Wendell> this Application Server should also take advantage of the
                  Wendell> native O.S.`s libraries and the Perl compilers ability to
                  Wendell> process code.

                  This sounds like things that have been done over and over again in the
                  Perl world. Again, how much time have you spent looking at the CPAN for
                  the pieces you need?

                  --
                  Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777
                  0095 <merlyn@...> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 28 4:44 PM
                    Randal,

                                    I was not aware that there is an PAR deployment Perl Application Server out there? I  sent out this email to gather thoughts and see if it has already been done or if others would be interested in creating an Application Server. I haven't gone through the steps of gather modules and building out the project yet. I wanted to get the thoughts of others who if this is or is not a good idea?

                    -Wendell

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 28 4:48 PM

                      Wendell>                 I was not aware that there is an PAR deployment
                      Wendell> Perl Application Server out there? I  sent out this email to
                      Wendell> gather thoughts and see if it has already been done or if
                      Wendell> others would be interested in creating an Application Server. I
                      Wendell> haven't gone through the steps of gather modules and building
                      Wendell> out the project yet. I wanted to get the thoughts of others who
                      Wendell> if this is or is not a good idea?

                      Stop using the word "Application Server".

                      Say exactly what you think it is. How would it interface with mod_perl?
                      How would it interface with other modules? How would it help
                      developers? What features does it supply, and what features does it
                      need from other pieces?

                      The problem is that "Application Server" can mean almost anything.

                      That's what I asked for you to do two mails ago. That'll help us
                      communicate.