Re: [PBML] Perl Beginning example script

  • Shlomi Fish
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
      Hi Ganesh,

      On Wednesday 26 Jan 2011 16:20:13 Ganesh B wrote:
      > Hi All !
      >
      > Could you please share me some example script to start my learning on perl
      > scripting.
      >
      > MOre on basic perl scripting.

      There are many example Perl scripts and programs on the books and tutorials on
      http://perl-begin.org/ . I can vouch for the quality of those in
      http://perl-begin.org/tutorials/perl-for-newbies/ because I've written them
      myself, but I should note that I introduce some essential Perl best practices
      like "use strict;" and "use warnings;" only in the second part. I can also
      recommend the book "Modern Perl" by chromatic which is freely available online
      (but can also be bought as a hard copy).

      You can find Perl 5 programs for many tasks on
      http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Main_Page , but being an open wiki, it may have a
      varying degree of quality, so proceed with caution and please consult us (and
      beginners@... ) about them so we can let you know if they suffer from any
      bad idioms.

      Regards,

      Shlomi Fish

      > Thanks,
      > Ganesh B

    • Shlomi Fish
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
        Hi Tim,

        On Wednesday 26 Jan 2011 21:16:18 Tim Lewis wrote:
        > There is a good tutorial at:
        >

        > http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/Perl/start.html

        This is an old and bad tutorial for Perl version 4 (now completely out-of-date
        and obsolete) which should not be recommended any more. I was able to
        recognise it by the URL. Also see the note at the top.

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
          Thank you Shlomi Fish.