RE: [PBML] Perl Beginning example script

  • Tim Lewis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
      There is a good tutorial at:

      http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/Perl/start.html

      From: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of Ganesh B
      Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:20 AM
      To: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [PBML] Perl Beginning example script

      Hi All !

      Could you please share me some example script to start my learning on perl
      scripting.

      MOre on basic perl scripting.

      Thanks,
      Ganesh B

    • Shlomi Fish
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
        Hi Ganesh,

        On Wednesday 26 Jan 2011 16:20:13 Ganesh B wrote:
        > Hi All !
        >
        > Could you please share me some example script to start my learning on perl
        > scripting.
        >
        > MOre on basic perl scripting.

        There are many example Perl scripts and programs on the books and tutorials on
        http://perl-begin.org/ . I can vouch for the quality of those in
        http://perl-begin.org/tutorials/perl-for-newbies/ because I've written them
        myself, but I should note that I introduce some essential Perl best practices
        like "use strict;" and "use warnings;" only in the second part. I can also
        recommend the book "Modern Perl" by chromatic which is freely available online
        (but can also be bought as a hard copy).

        You can find Perl 5 programs for many tasks on
        http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Main_Page , but being an open wiki, it may have a
        varying degree of quality, so proceed with caution and please consult us (and
        beginners@... ) about them so we can let you know if they suffer from any
        bad idioms.

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

        > Thanks,
        > Ganesh B

      • Shlomi Fish
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
          Hi Tim,

          On Wednesday 26 Jan 2011 21:16:18 Tim Lewis wrote:
          > There is a good tutorial at:
          >

          > http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/Perl/start.html

          This is an old and bad tutorial for Perl version 4 (now completely out-of-date
          and obsolete) which should not be recommended any more. I was able to
          recognise it by the URL. Also see the note at the top.

          Regards,

          Shlomi Fish

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
            Thank you Shlomi Fish.