Perl Beginning example script

  • Ganesh B
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
      Hi All !

      Could you please share me some example script to start my learning on perl
      scripting.

      MOre on basic perl scripting.

      Thanks,
      Ganesh B

    • Tim Lewis
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
        There is a good tutorial at:

        http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/Perl/start.html

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
          Hi Ganesh,

          On Wednesday 26 Jan 2011 16:20:13 Ganesh B wrote:
          > Hi All !
          >
          > Could you please share me some example script to start my learning on perl
          > scripting.
          >
          > MOre on basic perl scripting.

          There are many example Perl scripts and programs on the books and tutorials on
          http://perl-begin.org/ . I can vouch for the quality of those in
          http://perl-begin.org/tutorials/perl-for-newbies/ because I've written them
          myself, but I should note that I introduce some essential Perl best practices
          like "use strict;" and "use warnings;" only in the second part. I can also
          recommend the book "Modern Perl" by chromatic which is freely available online
          (but can also be bought as a hard copy).

          You can find Perl 5 programs for many tasks on
          http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Main_Page , but being an open wiki, it may have a
          varying degree of quality, so proceed with caution and please consult us (and
          beginners@... ) about them so we can let you know if they suffer from any
          bad idioms.

          Regards,

          Shlomi Fish

          > Thanks,
          > Ganesh B

        • Shlomi Fish
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
            Hi Tim,

            On Wednesday 26 Jan 2011 21:16:18 Tim Lewis wrote:
            > There is a good tutorial at:
            >

            > http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/Perl/start.html

            This is an old and bad tutorial for Perl version 4 (now completely out-of-date
            and obsolete) which should not be recommended any more. I was able to
            recognise it by the URL. Also see the note at the top.

            Regards,

            Shlomi Fish

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
              Thank you Shlomi Fish.