I need perl help

  • Sharon Skaryd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2011
      I understand this is an email list for beginning perl programmers.

      I'm not a programmer. I do web design and lots of volunteer work
      with the world's largest hammered dulcimer event, the Original
      Dulcimer Players' Club's festival, which is held each July in
      Michigan. But I'm no programmer. (You can see the website I
      designed at http://dulcimers.com)

      I'm writing to your group because I need help, and I don't know where
      to turn. My problem has to do with a perl script.

      Sixteen years ago I started scheduling the 244 workshops which are
      available to anyone who comes to the festival in Michigan and pays
      the $5 entry admission.

      All the leaders, the stage show performers, and everyone else donates
      their time. What we have is a unique educational opportunity which
      has as it's purpose the promotion of the hammered dulcimer.
      Thousands of folks come to the fairgrounds each year where it's
      held. We have instrument lessons instructing just about every acoustic instrument.

      Shortly after I took over the job (16 years ago), I found someone to
      write a cgi/perl script which has worked well. It uses a cgi utility
      program called form2file. The leaders who are willing to instruct go
      to the website and submit their class information. I end up with a database which shows
      covering the class(s) the leaders are willing to instruct. The form file asks for all the
      information I need it's stored in a text file. The text file in turn
      is embedded in an shtml file.

      It isn't perfect, but it's worked quite well. I'm sure if I knew
      databases, there'd be a way I could pull the information into the
      program without having to re-type it, but I'll be happy if it'll just
      work as it did before. (Yes, I re-type it all, but I'm willing to continue.)

      I just need help collecting the data using the cgi/perl script.

      If you want to see what the form file looks like, go to
      http://dulcimers.com/evart

      At the top you can see three website links which will also let you
      see last years' complete submissions. That's what I need to be able
      to produce again for 2011.

      For some reason when I hit submit, at the bottom of the form page, it
      doesn't store the information in the text file and instead an error comes up.

      I'd love to find someone who can help with my problem. I wish I could
      find a high school kid to do it. The problem is that there aren't
      many high school kids studying perl.

      Can you help? If someone in your group does free-lance work, have them contact me. In
      the mean while, I'm reading a perl tutorial and maybe I can learn enough to do it myself.

      By the way, I'm a;68 year old senior citizen and former webmaster for the hospital where I
      worked.

      Sharon Skaryd
      dulcimers.com
      dulcimers.biz

      -------------- Enclosure number 1 ----------------
      * This message contains the file 'WPM$26C4.PM$', which has been
      * uuencoded. If you are using Pegasus Mail, then you can use
      * the browser's eXtract function to lift the original contents
      * out to a file, otherwise you will have to extract the message
      * and uudecode it manually.

      begin 660 WPM$26C4.PM$
      M22!U;F1E<G-T86YD('1H:7,@:7,@86X@96UA:6P@;&ES="!F;W(@<&5R;"!P
      M<F]G<F%M;65R<RX@(`T*#0I))VT@;F]T(&$@<')O9W)A;6UE<BX@($D@9&\@
      M=V5B(&1E<VEG;B!A;F0@;&]T<R!O9B!V;VQU;G1E97(@=V]R:R`-"G=I=&@@
      M=&AE('=O<FQD)W,@;&%R9V5S="!H86UM97)E9"!D=6QC:6UE<B!E=F5N="P@
      M=&AE($]R:6=I;F%L(`T*1'5L8VEM97(@4&QA>65R<R<@0VQU8B=S(&9E<W1I
      M=F%L('=H:6-H(&ES(&AE;&0@96%C:"!*=6QY(&EN(`T*36EC:&EG86XN("!"
      M=70@22=M(&YO('!R;V=R86UM97(N("`@*%EO=2!C86X@<V5E('1H92!W96)S
      M:71E($D@#0ID97-I9VYE9"!A="!H='1P.B\O9'5L8VEM97)S+F-O;2D@#0H-
      M"DDG;2!W<FET:6YG('1O('EO=7(@9W)O=7`@8F5C875S92!)(&YE960@:&5L
      M<"P@86YD($D@9&]N)W0@:VYO=R!W:&5R92`-"G1O('1U<FXN("`-"@T*4VEX
      M=&5E;B!Y96%R<R!A9V\@22!S=&%R=&5D('-C:&5D=6QI;F<@=&AE(#(T-"!W
      M;W)K<VAO<',@=VAI8V@@87)E(`T*879A:6QA8FQE('1O(&%N>6]N92!W:&\@
      M8V]M97,@=&\@=&AE(&9E<W1I=F%L(&EN($UI8VAI9V%N(&%N9"!P87ES(`T*
      M=&AE("0U(&5N=')Y(&%D;6ES<VEO;BX@(`T*#0I!;&P@=&AE(&QE861E<G,L
      M('1H92!S=&%G92!S:&]W('!E<F9O<FUE<G,L(&%N9"!E=F5R>6]N92!E;'-E
      M(&1O;F%T97,@#0IT:&5I<B!T:6UE+B`@5VAA="!W92!H879E(&ES(&$@=6YI
      M<75E(&5D=6-A=&EO;F%L(&]P<&]R='5N:71Y('=H:6-H(`T*:&%S(&%S(&ET
      M)W,@<'5R<&]S92!T:&4@<')O;6]T:6]N(&]F('1H92!H86UM97)E9"!D=6QC
      M:6UE<BX@(`T*5&AO=7-A;F1S(&]F(&9O;&MS(&-O;64@=&\@=&AE(&9A:7)G
      M<F]U;F1S(&5A8V@@>65A<B!W:&5R92!I="=S(&AE;&0N#0H-"E-H;W)T;'D@
      M869T97(@22!T;V]K(&]V97(@=&AE(&IO8B`H,38@>65A<G,@86=O*2P@22!F
      M;W5N9"!S;VUE;VYE('1O(`T*=W)I=&4@82!C9VDO<&5R;"!S8W)I<'0@=VAI
      M8V@@:&%S('=O<FME9"!W96QL+B`@270@=7-E<R!A(&-G:2!U=&EL:71Y(`T*
      M<')O9W)A;2!C86QL960@9F]R;3)F:6QE+B`@5&AE(&QE861E<G,@=VAO(&%R
      M92!W:6QL:6YG('1O(&EN<W1R=6-T(&=O(`T*=&\@=&AE('=E8G-I=&4@86YD
      M('-U8FUI="!T:&4@8VQA<W,@:6YF;W)M871I;VX@8V]V97)I;F<@=&AE(&-L
      M87-S*',I(`T*=&AE>2!A<F4@=VEL;&EN9R!T;R!I;G-T<G5C="X@("!4:&4@
      M9F]R;2!F:6QE(&%S:W,@9F]R(&%L;"!T:&4@#0II;F9O<FUA=&EO;B!)(&YE
      M960@:70G<R!S=&]R960@:6X@82!T97AT(&9I;&4N("!4:&4@=&5X="!F:6QE
      M(&EN('1U<FX@#0II<R!E;6)E9&1E9"!I;B!A;B!S:'1M;"!F:6QE+B`@#0H-
      M"DET(&ES;B=T('!E<F9E8W0L(&)U="!I="=S('=O<FME9"!Q=6ET92!W96QL
      M+B`@22=M('-U<F4@:68@22!K;F5W(`T*9&%T86)A<V5S+"!T:&5R92=D(&)E
      M(&$@=V%Y($D@8V]U;&0@<'5L;"!T:&4@:6YF;W)M871I;VX@:6YT;R!T:&4@
      M#0IP<F]G<F%M('=I=&AO=70@:&%V:6YG('1O(')E+71Y<&4@:70L(&)U="!)
      M)VQL(&)E(&AA<'!Y(&EF(&ET)VQL(&IU<W0@#0IW;W)K(&%S(&ET(&1I9"!B
      M969O<F4N#0H-"DEF('EO=2!W86YT('1O('-E92!W:&%T('1H92!F;W)M(&9I
      M;&4@;&]O:W,@;&EK92P@9V\@=&\@#0IH='1P.B\O9'5L8VEM97)S+F-O;2]E
      M=F%R=`T*#0I!="!T:&4@=&]P('EO=2!C86X@<V5E('1H<F5E('=E8G-I=&4@
      M;&EN:W,@=VAI8V@@=VEL;"!A;'-O(&QE="!Y;W4@#0IS964@;&%S="!Y96%R
      M<R<@8V]M<&QE=&4@<W5B;6ES<VEO;G,N("!4:&%T)W,@=VAA="!)(&YE960@
      M=&\@8F4@86)L92`-"G1O('!R;V1U8V4@9F]R(#(P,3$N#0H-"D9O<B!S;VUE
      M(')E87-O;B!W:&5N($D@:&ET('-U8FUI="P@870@=&AE(&)O='1O;2!O9B!T
      M:&4@9F]R;2!P86=E+"!I="`-"F1O97-N)W0@<W1O<F4@=&AE(&EN9F]R;6%T
      M:6]N(&EN('1H92!T97AT(&9I;&4N#0H-"DDG9"!L;W9E('1O(&9I;F0@<V]M
      M96]N92!W:&\@8V%N(&AE;'`@=VET:"!M>2!P<F]B;&5M+B`@22!D;VXG="!H
      M879E(`T*86YY(&9U;F1S+"!A;'1H;W5G:"!)(&AA9"!P;&%N;F5D('1O('!A
      M>2`D,3`@87,@82`B<F5W87)D(B!I9B!)(&-O=6QD(`T*9FEN9"!A(&AI9V@@
      M<V-H;V]L(&MI9"!T;R!D;R!I="X@(%1H92!P<F]B;&5M(&ES('1H870@=&AE
      M<F4@87)E;B=T(`T*;6%N>2!H:6=H('-C:&]O;"!K:61S('-T=61Y:6YG('!E
      M<FPN#0H-"D-A;B!Y;W4@:&5L<#\-"@T*4VAA<F]N(%-K87)Y9`T*<VMA<GED
      M<T!D=6QC:6UE<G,N8V]M#0H@#0I">2!T:&4@=V%Y+"!))VT@83LV."!Y96%R
      M(&]L9"!S96YI;W(@8VET:7IE;BX@($D@86QS;R!S96QL(&1U;&-I;65R<R`-
      M"F]N(&QI;F4@#0IF<F]M(&UY('-A;&5S('=E8G-I=&4@*&AT='`Z+R]D=6QC
      M:6UE<G,N8FEZ*2X@(%1H;W-E(&1U;&-I;65R<R!A<F4@#0IB=6EL="!B>2!*
      M:6T@#0I.97=M86X@=VAO(&QI=F5S(&EN(%-T+B!,;W5I<R!A;F0@:7,@82!T
      M<G5E(&-R869T<VUA;B!B=6EL9&EN9R`-"FAA;6UE<F5D(`T*9'5L8VEM97)S
      %+@T*#0IR
      `
      end