Re: [PBML] Find::File

  • Shlomi Fish
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2011
      Hi David,

      Hmmm... another guy called Fish here - see below for my response.

      On Saturday 08 Jan 2011 00:28:20 Fish, David wrote:
      > Hello! I am trying to delete all the files and folders under a
      > specified folder, without deleting the specified folder. The problem I
      > am having is the Fill::Find::dir is stuck on the $dir and not showing
      > the full path of the subdirectory. According the Perl documentation I
      > should set no_chdir => 1 but when I do I see no difference. Is there
      > something I am missing or would rmtree under File::Path be a better
      > option?

      File::Path's rmtree would certainly be a better option. Use it something like
      that:

      {{{
      use strict;
      use warnings;

      use File::Path qw(rmtree);

      my $dir = 'c:/downloads';

      rmtree($dir, { keep_root => 1 }); # Not sure when keep_root was introduced.
      }}}

      A few comments on your code:

      > use File::Find;

      Add strict and warnings.

      > $dir = "c:/downloads";

      Declare the variable using "my";
      > find(\&wanted, no_chdir => 1, $dir);
      > print STDOUT ">$dir<\n";

      The STDOUT is uneeded here..

      > sub wanted {
      > $file = $_ ;

      Do my $file = $_;

      > if (-f $file) {
      > print STDOUT "This is a file: $file \n";
      > print STDOUT "Fullfilename:$File::Find::name \n";
      >
      > }
      > if (-d $file) {
      > print "This is a directory:>$file< \n";
      > print STDOUT "Fulldirname:>$File::Find::dir< \n";

      > Thanks,
      > David Fish

      For more about best practices, see:

      http://perl-begin.org/tutorials/bad-elements/

      Regards,

      Shlomi Fish

    • Fish, David
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2011
        Thanks Shlomi! It worked pefectly.

        Go Fish!!!!

        David Fish
        Senior Systems Analyst
        Property Systems Services
        Work (301) 380-3331
        Fax (301) 644-7521
        BlackBerry (301) 646-8985
        david.fish@...

        This communication contains information from Marriott International,
        Inc. that may be confidential. Except for personal use by the intended
        recipient, or as expressly authorized by the sender, any person who
        receives this information is prohibited from disclosing, copying,
        distributing, and/or using it. If you have received this communication
        in error, please immediately delete it and all copies, and promptly
        notify the sender. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate
        as an electronic signature under applicable law.

        Hmmm... another guy called Fish here - see below for my response.

        On Saturday 08 Jan 2011 00:28:20 Fish, David wrote:
        > Hello! I am trying to delete all the files and folders under a
        > specified folder, without deleting the specified folder. The problem
        > am having is the Fill::Find::dir is stuck on the $dir and not showing
        > the full path of the subdirectory. According the Perl documentation
        > should set no_chdir => 1 but when I do I see no difference. Is there
        > something I am missing or would rmtree under File::Path be a better
        > option?

        File::Path's rmtree would certainly be a better option. Use it something
        like
        that:

        {{{
        use strict;
        use warnings;

        use File::Path qw(rmtree);

        my $dir = 'c:/downloads';

        rmtree($dir, { keep_root => 1 }); # Not sure when keep_root was
        introduced.
        }}}

        A few comments on your code:

        > use File::Find;