Command line arguments to perl script: apostrophe?

  • Bull Durham
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2010
      I downloaded and studied the O'Reilly Into and Intermediate Perl
      books, and pressed on with my own project. This project aims to solve
      those word-substitution CryptoQuotes you often see in your daily
      newspaper.

      I'm pretty well pleased with what I have to-date. It takes the
      scrambled letters of several words from the CryptoQuote and sorts out
      the possible solutions.

      I thought I could improve it by adding contractions to the mix. This
      means the scrambled letters I enter have an apostrophe (').

      The crypto words are read in to my script as command line arguments.
      E.g.,

      ./nCrypto.pl xyzxqy xyrbzy

      Which compiles my nCrypto.pl script and reads in the arguments and
      decrypts them (in this case, probably decrypted as people person).

      To enter contractions, I hoped to read in the argument list and scan
      for words with an apostrophe ('). However, in test cases, putting an
      apostrophe in the command line sends me off into some perlish limbo.
      The entry

      ./nCrypto.pl xyzxqy xyrbzy wkz'r

      Where the wkz'r is something like don't. My script just gives me a
      prompt:

      What is perl waiting for? Is an apostrophe in the invocation of a
      perl script through its arguments special? I guess it is, but I don't
      see what it means.

      No clue in several searches of several perl sources.

      Any help will be welcome.

      Bull Durham
      perl, v5.10.1 (*) built for darwin-multi-2level
    • Shlomi Fish
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2010
        Hi,

        On Tuesday 26 October 2010 01:49:04 Bull Durham wrote:
        > I downloaded and studied the O'Reilly Into and Intermediate Perl
        > books, and pressed on with my own project. This project aims to solve
        > those word-substitution CryptoQuotes you often see in your daily
        > newspaper.
        >
        > I'm pretty well pleased with what I have to-date. It takes the
        > scrambled letters of several words from the CryptoQuote and sorts out
        > the possible solutions.
        >
        > I thought I could improve it by adding contractions to the mix. This
        > means the scrambled letters I enter have an apostrophe (').
        >
        > The crypto words are read in to my script as command line arguments.
        > E.g.,
        >
        > ./nCrypto.pl xyzxqy xyrbzy
        >
        > Which compiles my nCrypto.pl script and reads in the arguments and
        > decrypts them (in this case, probably decrypted as people person).
        >
        > To enter contractions, I hoped to read in the argument list and scan
        > for words with an apostrophe ('). However, in test cases, putting an
        > apostrophe in the command line sends me off into some perlish limbo.
        > The entry
        >
        > ./nCrypto.pl xyzxqy xyrbzy wkz'r
        >
        > Where the wkz'r is something like don't. My script just gives me a
        > prompt:
        >

        > What is perl waiting for? Is an apostrophe in the invocation of a
        > perl script through its arguments special? I guess it is, but I don't
        > see what it means.

        The problem is likely with your Unix shell which treats an apostrophe as a
        delimiter of a string:

        {{{
        shlomif:~$ echo Hello
        Hello
        shlomif:~$ echo 'Hello'
        Hello
        shlomif:~$ echo One\'Two\'Three
        One'Two'Three
        shlomif:~$ echo "Hello"
        Hello
        shlomif:~$ echo "Hello 'World'"
        Hello 'World'
        }}}

        This is standard Unix shell behaviour and does not only affect Perl. For more
        information see a shell tutorial/book such as:

        * http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/

        * http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

      • doctor_bull
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2010
          A little poking around reveals it is not perl, but bash that is waiting for something. Sorry for wasting your time.

          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Bull Durham <durham@...> wrote:

          > Where the wkz'r is something like don't. My script just gives me a
          > prompt:
          >

          > What is perl waiting for?
        • Shlomi Fish
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 26, 2010