Help! (what a classic)...concatenation operator on drugz?!?

  • Eric Thibodeau
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2001
      Hello everyone,

      I am attempting to write a PERL script to automate the setup of SBC
      (Single Board Computers). Part of this script initializes the flash RAM
      (using mknod and sfdisk). Configuration parameters such as the device name
      (/dev/hrfd) and the Major nummber (for mknod) are stored in a configuration
      file. Okay..to up to now, this is not too complicated...here is the weird
      part...and hoping someone has heard of this:

      - The script must also create the device /dev/hrfd1. Since /dev/hrfd
      is a variable read from the configuration file, I "simply" concatenate the
      variable contaning /etc/hrfd with "1". For some completely unknown reason,
      the concatenation screws up completely and adds the "1" at the begining of
      the variable giving 1dev/hrfd as I print out the resulting variable.
      Moreover, I also print "Removing $Prm"...and this is the really freaky part,
      the "1" which should have been concatenated to the $Prm (/dev/hrfd) ends up
      replacing the first caracter of the printed string rendering "1emonving
      /dev/hrfd" on the display.

      - At this point, I am not too certain what information is really
      relevant to my problem but here are some of the information relevant to the
      environment:

      OS: Mandrake 7.1
      Perl -V: 2.2.15-0.16mdksmp (rpm from mandrake 7.1 CD)...perl version
      5.6.0
      Hardware: Pentium 75, 32MB RAM

      Note that I have also experienced this problem on the same machine
      with Mandrake 8.0Beta1.

      The reason why I regressed to Mandrake 7.1 is that my script runs
      correctly on my coworker's machine which is runing Mandrake 7.1. Having
      formatted and reinstalled Mandrake, I can pretty much eliminate library
      problems...I think.

      I have attached the scipt to this e-mail as well as the relevent
      configuration file. Note that the configuration file must be in a directory
      named config relative to the script's path.

      Please bare in mind that I am pretty much inexperienced in Perl am I
      begg you all to excuse me for the most-probably-mediocre quality of my
      script

      Thanks a millon,

      Eric Thibodeau