Re: [PBML] Need help with downloading DBI Module on a linux box

  • Hema K
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2010
      Ok. So installed DBI-608 from CPAN DBI directory.

      -rw-r--r-- DBI-1.608.tar.gz

      performed sudo tar zxvf DBI-1.608.tar.gz

      tried changing the permissions but got "chmod: changing permissions of
      `DBI-1.608': Operation not permitted"

      >>But also consider that Ubuntu probably already has a package for
      >>installation for the DBD::MySQL and all of its dependencies. You should
      >>start there.

      How do I start from there?

      TIA.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2010

        Hema> How do I start from there?

        Read up on installing ubuntu packages. A bit of googling should turn up
        a dozen guides.

        Sorry, I'm not running ubuntu anywhere nearby, but maybe someone else
        here is.

        Also keep in mind...

        *
        * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
        *
        * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
        * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
        *
        * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
        *

      • Toma H
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2010
          Can you help me with a name of some perl compiler were I can run line by line and see the effect of each line

          Thanks a lot

          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Hema K <khema1808@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I need help with installing DBI Module and MySQL client on a Ubuntu 8.x
          > machine. I tried downloading the module from CPAN but was not successful
          > with the installation. Don't know what steps am I missing. Any help is
          > appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks!

        • Toma H
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2010
            I forgot to give you some datail why I need this software (I can not find on internet something like this and I create this but is not working , too many errors I `m beginer and I can not fix it alone :(

            use strict;
            use warnings;
            my $DATAIN_FILE = "test.txt";

            open my $data_in_fh, "<", $DATAIN_FILE
            or die "Cannot open '$datain_FILE' for reading - $!";

            while (<$DATAIN_FILE>) {
            chomp;
            $var = $_;
            @var= split ("|",$_);

            #Create and put value of filename
            my $fname_out = var[0];

            #Spit data to have file name and information to put in the file
            my ($fname;$data_out_fh) = split /|/, $;
            #if name of file fname_out the same with the name of first value in the line fname print line in the file
            if (fname=fname_out)
            {open $data_out_fh, ">", "$fname.txt"
            or die "Cannot open '$fname.txt' for writing - $!";
            print {$fname_out} "$data_out_fh\n";

            else
            {
            #if fname not the same with firts value in the line then create a new file with this name of firts value in line and add line in the file
            $fname_out=$fname
            open $data_out_fh, ">", "$fname.txt"
            or die "Cannot open '$fname.txt' for writing - $!";

            print {$fname_out} "$data_out_fh\n";
            }

            close($data_out_fh);

            the result of my work is too many errors
            c:\perl>start1.pl
            Global symbol "$datain_FILE" requires explicit package name at C:\_th\WORK\SCRIP
            T and help\extractie mef\start1.pl line 6.
            Global symbol "$var" requires explicit package name at c:\perl\start1.pl line 10.
            Global symbol "@var" requires explicit package name at c:\perl\start1.pl line 11.
            syntax error at c:\perl\start1.pl line 14, near "var["
            syntax error at c:\perl\start1.pl line 17, near "$fname;"
            Global symbol "$data_out_fh" requires explicit package name at c:\perl\start1.pl line 17.
            syntax error at c:\perl\start1.pl line 17, near "$data_out_fh) "
            Global symbol "$data_out_fh" requires explicit package name at c:\perl\start1.pl line 20.
            Global symbol "$data_out_fh" requires explicit package name at c:\perl\start1.pl line 22.
            syntax error at c:\perl\start1.pl line 25, near "}"
            c:\perl\start1.pl has too many errors.

            Can someone help me, I ask for a solution because I think is more easy to put some lines not to fix my bad syntax