Need help with downloading DBI Module on a linux box

  • Hema K
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2010
      Hi,

      I need help with installing DBI Module and MySQL client on a Ubuntu 8.x
      machine. I tried downloading the module from CPAN but was not successful
      with the installation. Don't know what steps am I missing. Any help is
      appreciated.

      Thanks!

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2010

        Hema> I need help with installing DBI Module and MySQL client on a Ubuntu 8.x
        Hema> machine. I tried downloading the module from CPAN but was not successful
        Hema> with the installation. Don't know what steps am I missing. Any help is
        Hema> appreciated.

        Are you using the CPAN shell, and if not, why not?

        But also consider that Ubuntu probably already has a package for
        installation for the DBD::MySQL and all of its dependencies. You should
        start there.

      • Hema K
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2010
          Ok. So installed DBI-608 from CPAN DBI directory.

          -rw-r--r-- DBI-1.608.tar.gz

          performed sudo tar zxvf DBI-1.608.tar.gz

          tried changing the permissions but got "chmod: changing permissions of
          `DBI-1.608': Operation not permitted"

          >>But also consider that Ubuntu probably already has a package for
          >>installation for the DBD::MySQL and all of its dependencies. You should
          >>start there.

          How do I start from there?

          TIA.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2010

            Hema> How do I start from there?

            Read up on installing ubuntu packages. A bit of googling should turn up
            a dozen guides.

            Sorry, I'm not running ubuntu anywhere nearby, but maybe someone else
            here is.

            Also keep in mind...

            *
            * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
            *
            * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
            * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
            *
            * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
            *

          • Toma H
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2010
              Can you help me with a name of some perl compiler were I can run line by line and see the effect of each line

              Thanks a lot

              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Hema K <khema1808@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I need help with installing DBI Module and MySQL client on a Ubuntu 8.x
              > machine. I tried downloading the module from CPAN but was not successful
              > with the installation. Don't know what steps am I missing. Any help is
              > appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks!

            • Toma H
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2010
                I forgot to give you some datail why I need this software (I can not find on internet something like this and I create this but is not working , too many errors I `m beginer and I can not fix it alone :(

                use strict;
                use warnings;
                my $DATAIN_FILE = "test.txt";

                open my $data_in_fh, "<", $DATAIN_FILE
                or die "Cannot open '$datain_FILE' for reading - $!";

                while (<$DATAIN_FILE>) {
                chomp;
                $var = $_;
                @var= split ("|",$_);

                #Create and put value of filename
                my $fname_out = var[0];

                #Spit data to have file name and information to put in the file
                my ($fname;$data_out_fh) = split /|/, $;
                #if name of file fname_out the same with the name of first value in the line fname print line in the file
                if (fname=fname_out)
                {open $data_out_fh, ">", "$fname.txt"
                or die "Cannot open '$fname.txt' for writing - $!";
                print {$fname_out} "$data_out_fh\n";

                else
                {
                #if fname not the same with firts value in the line then create a new file with this name of firts value in line and add line in the file
                $fname_out=$fname
                open $data_out_fh, ">", "$fname.txt"
                or die "Cannot open '$fname.txt' for writing - $!";

                print {$fname_out} "$data_out_fh\n";
                }

                close($data_out_fh);

                the result of my work is too many errors
                c:\perl>start1.pl
                Global symbol "$datain_FILE" requires explicit package name at C:\_th\WORK\SCRIP
                T and help\extractie mef\start1.pl line 6.
                Global symbol "$var" requires explicit package name at c:\perl\start1.pl line 10.
                Global symbol "@var" requires explicit package name at c:\perl\start1.pl line 11.
                syntax error at c:\perl\start1.pl line 14, near "var["
                syntax error at c:\perl\start1.pl line 17, near "$fname;"
                Global symbol "$data_out_fh" requires explicit package name at c:\perl\start1.pl line 17.
                syntax error at c:\perl\start1.pl line 17, near "$data_out_fh) "
                Global symbol "$data_out_fh" requires explicit package name at c:\perl\start1.pl line 20.
                Global symbol "$data_out_fh" requires explicit package name at c:\perl\start1.pl line 22.
                syntax error at c:\perl\start1.pl line 25, near "}"
                c:\perl\start1.pl has too many errors.

                Can someone help me, I ask for a solution because I think is more easy to put some lines not to fix my bad syntax