time beyond 2038

  • Laszlo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2010
      May be somebody here can help me out.

      Is there any perl module usable either in Linux and in Windows environment which can generate and handle time beyond 2038 and before 1970.

      I need to know what will be the day of week xx days before or after a date when the year can go at least between 1900 and 2099.

      I use

      $time = timelocal(0, 0, 12, $day, $month-1, $year);
      @d = localtime($time + $numofdays);

      to get the result. As for now my programlet crashes if the year is outside of the limits.

      Thanks in advance

      laszlo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2010

        Laszlo> Is there any perl module usable either in Linux and in Windows
        Laszlo> environment which can generate and handle time beyond 2038 and
        Laszlo> before 1970.

        The DateTime suite of tools handles every possible combinations of tasks
        around dates and times. There's even an entire website devoted to
        it... http://datetime.perl.org/?FAQ

      • Laszlo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2010
          Thanks for the prompt answer. DateTime works fine of my server, it is installed there

          One more stupid question. Is there any way to make DateTime run on ActiveState Perl 5.8.3 ? pp3 install does not finds the module.

          I need standalone version (not to hide the code, but for easy usage). Two years ago I updated to perl v, 5.8.8. and used App::Packer to make executable code, it worked fine with the Norton, but my first user was complaining that his McAffee virus protection claims virus due to the packing method what it dislikes.

          I would like to avoid to pay $150 again for the perl2exe license. I am retired and work only for hobby, w/o money.

          Thanks again

          laszlo

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9, 2010

            Laszlo> One more stupid question. Is there any way to make DateTime run
            Laszlo> on ActiveState Perl 5.8.3 ? pp3 install does not finds the
            Laszlo> module.

            I presume you're using ActiveState Perl on Windows. If so, get
            Strawberry Perl instead... it has a standard install toolchain, so you
            can install anything from the CPAN that makes sense on Windows.

          • Laszlo
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2010
              I tried to install the latest version of Strawberry (12) and some voice, sound related modules (which are operating system dependent) are unavailable. What is worse, when I attempted to unistall Strawberry it aborted with some memory access error.