file stat'ing

  • john maclean
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2010
      Does one have to open a file before using the stat command on a file?

      --
      John Maclean
      07739 171 531

      Enterprise Linux Systems Engineer
    • Bhavesh Vala
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2010
        Hi,

        I think there is no need to open a file before you use stat command.

        > Does one have to open a file before using the stat command on a file?
        >
        > --
        > John Maclean
        > 07739 171 531
        > MSc (DIC)
        >
        > Enterprise Linux Systems Engineer

        --
        Thanks & Regards,
        Bhavesh Vala.
      • Shlomi Fish
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2010
          On Tuesday 08 Jun 2010 16:07:34 john maclean wrote:
          > Does one have to open a file before using the stat command on a file?

          No, it's not necessary. stat accepts a filename as well, and it can be any
          file that exists on the system (or doesn't - in which it returns the empty
          list).

          Regards,

          Shlomi Fish