Re: [PBML] Script to print all the files with .zip extentsion in a given directory

  • gopi chand
    Message 1 of 10 , May 29, 2010
      Hi Kenneth

      This script looks a little bit better,when I run the below script the output is below.Can you help getting rid of this erro?

      OUTPUT:main::recurse() called too early to check prototype at greep.pl line 20.
      Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at greep.pl line 9./

      #!/usr/bin/perl -w

      use strict;

      sub recurse($) {
        my($path) = @_;

        ## append a trailing / if it's not there
        $path .= '/' if($path !~ /\/$/);

        ## print the directory being searched
        print $path,"\n";

        ## loop through the files contained in the directory
        for my $eachFile (glob($path.'*.zip')) {

          ## if the file is a directory
          if( -d $eachFile) {
            ## pass the directory to the routine ( recursion )
            recurse($eachFile);
          } else {

            ## print the file ... tabbed for readability
            print "\t",$eachFile,"\n";

      ## initial call ... $ARGV[0] is the first command line argument
      recurse($ARGV[0]);

      Message 2 of 10 , May 31, 2010
        On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 22:23, gopi chand <gopichand84@...> wrote:

        > Hi Kenneth
        >
        > This script looks a little bit better,when I run the below script the
        > output is below.Can you help getting rid of this erro?
        >
        > OUTPUT:main::recurse() called too early to check prototype at greep.plline 20.
        > Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at greep.pl line 9./
        >
        > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
        >
        > use strict;
        >
        > sub recurse($) {
        > my($path) = @_;
        >
        > ## append a trailing / if it's not there
        > $path .= '/' if($path !~ /\/$/);
        >
        > ## print the directory being searched
        > print $path,"\n";
        >
        > ## loop through the files contained in the directory
        > for my $eachFile (glob($path.'*.zip')) {
        >
        > ## if the file is a directory
        > if( -d $eachFile) {
        > ## pass the directory to the routine ( recursion )
        > recurse($eachFile);
        > } else {
        >
        > ## print the file ... tabbed for readability
        > print "\t",$eachFile,"\n";
        >
        > ## initial call ... $ARGV[0] is the first command line argument
        > recurse($ARGV[0]);

        I see that you have chosen a different script :-)

        Here's my advice:

        There's a very old provided tool with perl called "find2perl".

        My understanding of the original problem you wish to solve is solved by
        "find <dir> -name \*.zip".

        So, using "find2perl" with aforementioned find command results in this:

        find2perl . -name \*.zip
        #! /usr/bin/perl -w
        eval 'exec /usr/bin/perl -S $0 ${1+"$@"}'
        if 0; #$running_under_some_shell

        use strict;
        use File::Find ();

        # Set the variable $File::Find::dont_use_nlink if you're using AFS,
        # since AFS cheats.

        # for the convenience of &wanted calls, including -eval statements:
        use vars qw/*name *dir *prune/;
        *name = *File::Find::name;
        *dir = *File::Find::dir;
        *prune = *File::Find::prune;

        sub wanted;

        # Traverse desired filesystems
        File::Find::find({wanted => \&wanted}, '.');
        exit;

        sub wanted {
        /^.*\.zip\z/s
        && print("$name\n");
        }

        What do you think of this?

        Ken

      • gopi chand
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2010
          Thanks a lot Kenneth.It worked.BTW where to get the find2perl tool

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2010

            gopi> Thanks a lot Kenneth.It worked.BTW where to get the find2perl tool

            Same directory as Perl is in. Probably /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.

            If Perl is in your path, so should find2perl be.