Re: [PBML] Script to print all the files with .zip extentsion in a given directory

  • gopi chand
    Message 1 of 10 , May 29, 2010
      Hi Kenneth,

      Answered inline with [me]

      --- On Sat, 5/29/10, Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@...> wrote:

      From: Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@...>
      Subject: Re: [PBML] Script to print all the files with .zip extentsion in a given directory
      To: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, May 29, 2010, 8:54 PM

      On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 20:25, gopi chand <gopichand84@...> wrote:

      > I just got this over the net ,tried to run with perl grep.pl (?i)sorting

      > .zip but didn't work.Can you pls help?

      > use strict;

      > use warnings;

      > use Cwd;

      > use File::Find;

      > my $search_pattern=$ARGV[0];

      > my $file_pattern =$ARGV[1];

      > find(\&d, cwd);

      > sub d {

      > my $file = $File::Find::name;

      > $file =~ s,/,\\,g;

      > return unless -f $file;

      > return unless $file =~ /$file_pattern/;

      > open F, $file or print "couldn't open $file\n" && return;

      > while (<F>) {

      > if (my ($found) = m/($search_pattern)/o) {

      > print "found $found in $file\n";

      > last;

      > close F;

      > }

      Did you look at the code that you grabbed off the 'net and make any

      conclusions about how it works?[me]yup.I understand how it works

      Do you know how to use this code?[me]I don't

      Where you grabbed this code from, was there any documentation on how to

      use it?

      [me]No.

      It would help if the indentation was still in the code :-(

      Let's make your problem easier so that you could solve a sub-problem, then

      later use the knowledge gained to solve the larger problem.

      How would you print all of the filenames with a .zip suffix that were in

      the same directory using perl?[me]The below code prints all the files with a .zip extension but it's not doing a recursive search into subdirectories
      #!/usr/bin/perl -w

      @files = <*.zip>;
      foreach $file (@files) {
        print $file . "\n";
      }

      I don't want to solve this problem *for* you; I want to *help* you solve

      it *yourself* :-)

      Ken

    • Kenneth Wolcott
      Message 2 of 10 , May 29, 2010
        On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 21:13, gopi chand <gopichand84@...> wrote:

        > Hi Kenneth,
        >
        > Answered inline with [me]
        >

        > --- On Sat, 5/29/10, Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@...<kennethwolcott%40gmail.com>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > From: Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@...<kennethwolcott%40gmail.com>
        > >
        > Subject: Re: [PBML] Script to print all the files with .zip extentsion in a
        > given directory
        > To: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com <perl-beginner%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: Saturday, May 29, 2010, 8:54 PM
        >

        > On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 20:25, gopi chand <gopichand84@...<gopichand84%40yahoo.com>>
        > wrote:
        >

        > > I just got this over the net ,tried to run with perl grep.pl (?i)sorting
        >
        > > .zip but didn't work.Can you pls help?
        >

        > > use strict;
        >
        > > use warnings;
        >
        > > use Cwd;
        >

        > > use File::Find;
        >

        > > my $search_pattern=$ARGV[0];
        >
        > > my $file_pattern =$ARGV[1];
        >

        > > find(\&d, cwd);
        >

        > > sub d {
        >

        > > my $file = $File::Find::name;
        >

        > > $file =~ s,/,\\,g;
        >

        > > return unless -f $file;
        >
        > > return unless $file =~ /$file_pattern/;
        >

        > > open F, $file or print "couldn't open $file\n" && return;
        >

        > > while (<F>) {
        >
        > > if (my ($found) = m/($search_pattern)/o) {
        >
        > > print "found $found in $file\n";
        >
        > > last;
        >
        > > }
        >
        > > }
        >

        > > close F;
        >
        > > }
        >

        > Did you look at the code that you grabbed off the 'net and make any
        >
        > conclusions about how it works?[me]yup.I understand how it works
        >
        > Do you know how to use this code?[me]I don't
        >

        > Where you grabbed this code from, was there any documentation on how to
        >
        > use it?
        >
        > [me]No.
        >

        > It would help if the indentation was still in the code :-(
        >
        > Let's make your problem easier so that you could solve a sub-problem, then
        >
        > later use the knowledge gained to solve the larger problem.
        >
        > How would you print all of the filenames with a .zip suffix that were in
        >
        > the same directory using perl?[me]The below code prints all the files with
        > a .zip extension but it's not doing a recursive search into subdirectories
        > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
        >
        > @files = <*.zip>;
        > foreach $file (@files) {
        > print $file . "\n";
        >
        > }
        >
        > I don't want to solve this problem *for* you; I want to *help* you solve
        >
        > it *yourself* :-)
        >
        > Ken

        Ok, I think you solved the easier sub-problem just fine.

        What is the output that you obtain when you run the script that you found
        on the 'net?

        I don't precisely understand how you invoked the script, perhaps there
        were some unicode characters that displayed incorrectly in my gmail screen
        that confused me, so show me the output that you say "didn't work".

        Please be precise what you mean about "didn't work".

        Ken

      • gopi chand
        Message 3 of 10 , May 29, 2010
          Hi Kenneth

          This script looks a little bit better,when I run the below script the output is below.Can you help getting rid of this erro?

          OUTPUT:main::recurse() called too early to check prototype at greep.pl line 20.
          Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at greep.pl line 9./

          #!/usr/bin/perl -w

          use strict;

          sub recurse($) {
            my($path) = @_;

            ## append a trailing / if it's not there
            $path .= '/' if($path !~ /\/$/);

            ## print the directory being searched
            print $path,"\n";

            ## loop through the files contained in the directory
            for my $eachFile (glob($path.'*.zip')) {

              ## if the file is a directory
              if( -d $eachFile) {
                ## pass the directory to the routine ( recursion )
                recurse($eachFile);
              } else {

                ## print the file ... tabbed for readability
                print "\t",$eachFile,"\n";

          ## initial call ... $ARGV[0] is the first command line argument
          recurse($ARGV[0]);

          Message 4 of 10 , May 31, 2010
            On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 22:23, gopi chand <gopichand84@...> wrote:

            > Hi Kenneth
            >
            > This script looks a little bit better,when I run the below script the
            > output is below.Can you help getting rid of this erro?
            >
            > OUTPUT:main::recurse() called too early to check prototype at greep.plline 20.
            > Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at greep.pl line 9./
            >
            > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
            >
            > use strict;
            >
            > sub recurse($) {
            > my($path) = @_;
            >
            > ## append a trailing / if it's not there
            > $path .= '/' if($path !~ /\/$/);
            >
            > ## print the directory being searched
            > print $path,"\n";
            >
            > ## loop through the files contained in the directory
            > for my $eachFile (glob($path.'*.zip')) {
            >
            > ## if the file is a directory
            > if( -d $eachFile) {
            > ## pass the directory to the routine ( recursion )
            > recurse($eachFile);
            > } else {
            >
            > ## print the file ... tabbed for readability
            > print "\t",$eachFile,"\n";
            >
            > ## initial call ... $ARGV[0] is the first command line argument
            > recurse($ARGV[0]);

            I see that you have chosen a different script :-)

            Here's my advice:

            There's a very old provided tool with perl called "find2perl".

            My understanding of the original problem you wish to solve is solved by
            "find <dir> -name \*.zip".

            So, using "find2perl" with aforementioned find command results in this:

            find2perl . -name \*.zip
            #! /usr/bin/perl -w
            eval 'exec /usr/bin/perl -S $0 ${1+"$@"}'
            if 0; #$running_under_some_shell

            use strict;
            use File::Find ();

            # Set the variable $File::Find::dont_use_nlink if you're using AFS,
            # since AFS cheats.

            # for the convenience of &wanted calls, including -eval statements:
            use vars qw/*name *dir *prune/;
            *name = *File::Find::name;
            *dir = *File::Find::dir;
            *prune = *File::Find::prune;

            sub wanted;

            # Traverse desired filesystems
            File::Find::find({wanted => \&wanted}, '.');
            exit;

            sub wanted {
            /^.*\.zip\z/s
            && print("$name\n");
            }

            What do you think of this?

            Ken

          • gopi chand
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1 3:49 PM
              Thanks a lot Kenneth.It worked.BTW where to get the find2perl tool

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1 4:09 PM

                gopi> Thanks a lot Kenneth.It worked.BTW where to get the find2perl tool

                Same directory as Perl is in. Probably /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.

                If Perl is in your path, so should find2perl be.