Re: [PBML] Concatenation

    Message 1 of 5 , May 17, 2010
      >>>>> "billkirk23" == billkirk23 <billkirk23@...> writes:

      billkirk23> I am reading in an input file. The file is a column of
      billkirk23> names and addresses. I then want to concatenate the name
      billkirk23> and address on one line with quotes and separate the name,
      billkirk23> address, and zip by a comma. Basically creating a .CSV file
      billkirk23> that will be imported to Excel for making labels.

      Ahh, then use any of the CSV modules, such as Text::CSV. Then you don't
      need to reinvent an often over-reinvented wheel.

    • mike lively
      Message 2 of 5 , May 17, 2010
        Actually there are modules you can use to easily create the spreadsheet directly out of Perl. Eliminating the need for the CSV file. I have found creating the spreadsheet in Perl makes it much easier for anyone that really needs the data in spreadsheet form rather than having to import the data. There are several options for formating the cells so the spreadsheet looks really nice and easy to read.

        Mike

      • wkirk195@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2010
          I have downloaded TEXT::CSV. Now how is it used? I want to input a text file and have a CSV output. Also I am not sure I have installed on my version of Perl correctly. I unzipped the file and then put CSV.PM in the Text directory, but I'm not sure if that is correct.

          I am using Strawberry Perl

          Thanks.
          billkirk23> I am reading in an input file. The file is a column of
          billkirk23> names and addresses. I then want to concatenate the name
          billkirk23> and address on one line with quotes and separate the name,
          billkirk23> address, and zip by a comma. Basically creating a .CSV file
          billkirk23> that will be imported to Excel for making labels.

          Ahh, then use any of the CSV modules, such as Text::CSV. Then you don't
          need to reinvent an often over-reinvented wheel.

          < merlyn@... > <URL: http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/ >

        • Robert Binkley
          Message 4 of 5 , May 18, 2010
            #!/usr/bin/perl