Re: [PBML] Preg replace ??

  • Charles K. Clarkson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 24, 2010
      Sarah Fox wrote:

      : I'm familiar with the PHP version of preg_replace, but is this also
      : a perl function aswell ?

      Yes. It is called substitution and is similar, but easier to write than
      preg_replace. "preg" stands for perl regular expressions. Since you are
      already in Perl, it would be redundant to include the preg prefix on
      Perl function names.

      : I'm sure this is a standard perl function.

      s/// is described in the perlop manpage under the Regexp Quote-Like
      Operators section.

      HTH,

      Charles Clarkson
      --
      Mobile Home Investor
      Free Market Advocate

      I'm not really a smart person. I just play one on the Internet.

      Stephenville, TX
      http://www.clarksonenergyhomes.com/wordpress/about/
      http://twitter.com/CharlesClarkson
      +1 (254) 968-8328
    • Shlomi Fish
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25, 2010
        On Sunday 25 Apr 2010 08:27:33 Charles K. Clarkson wrote:
        > Sarah Fox wrote:
        > : I'm familiar with the PHP version of preg_replace, but is this also
        > : a perl function aswell ?
        >
        > Yes. It is called substitution and is similar, but easier to write than
        > preg_replace. "preg" stands for perl regular expressions. Since you are
        > already in Perl, it would be redundant to include the preg prefix on
        > Perl function names.
        >
        > : I'm sure this is a standard perl function.
        >
        > s/// is described in the perlop manpage under the Regexp Quote-Like
        > Operators section.

        Also see the links at:

        http://perl-begin.org/topics/regular-expressions/

        One should note that Perl has first-order syntax for regular expressions
        instead of PHP's regular-expressions-inside-delimiters-inside-strings. So you
        need to do less double backslashes (e.g: "\\(") and the syntax is more
        consistent.

        > HTH,
        >
        > Charles Clarkson
        > --
        > Mobile Home Investor
        > Free Market Advocate
        > Programmer
        >
        > I'm not really a smart person. I just play one on the Internet.

        :-)

        I once said that "I am not an actor. I just play one on T.V.":

        http://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html#not_an_actor

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

      • Sarah Fox
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25, 2010
          >>: I'm sure this is a standard perl function.

          s/// is described in the perlop manpage under the Regexp Quote-Like
          Operators section.
          <

          Ah, thank you.. - found it.