From a moderator: A public letter to the group owner

  • Rob Richardson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2010
      I volunteered to become a moderator several years ago, when I was
      working on the only Perl program I ever worked on. I realized that
      there was a need for someone to quickly clear up the occasional
      spammer that got onto this list. Even after I finished that project
      (and decided that I was much happier in the strongly typed world of
      C++ and C# where I make my living), I stayed on, feeling that I was
      providing a valuable service without committing much of my time.

      I do not know what has happened to the banning feature of Yahoo
      groups, but spam messages are coming through despite the fact that the
      offending members have been banned. I do not have the time to try to
      keep up with them, and the best I can do is to remove the messages
      from the group's archives. I can't keep them from getting out to our
      membership.

      The only alternative I see is to require new members to be approved by
      moderators, after they have indicated why they are interested in the
      group. This is how all of my Yahoo groups are configured, and I have
      very little problem with spammers. I understand why this group's
      membership is unrestricted, but I think the bad is now outweighing the
      good. If I can be granted the authority to approve membership
      requests, I will be glad to manage this aspect of the group.

      It has been many months since I have last seen any indication that any
      other moderator, or the group owner, has been active on this list. If
      the owner sees this and decides not to change the group settings, or
      if the owner is no longer monitoring this group, I do not see that I
      can provide any more help here. If I do not get a response to this
      message in a few days, or if the owner decides to leave the group
      settings as they are, I will resign and unsubscribe.

      In the meantime, I urge you to check out all of the resources
      available at http://www.perl.org, and especially the beginners mailing
      list they maintain, information about which can be found at
      http://learn.perl.org/faq/beginners.html.

      Good luck!

      Rob Richardson
      Moderator, perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
    • hbhanujan@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2010
        Please unsubscribe me from the group..

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2010
          Please refer to the bottom of the message you quoted for
          unsubscription instructions.

          On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:04 PM, <hbhanujan@...> wrote:
          > Please unsubscribe me from the group..
          > perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com

          Please do not copy or forward this message or any attachments without
          my permission. Remember, asking permission is a great way to get me
          to visit your site!