Re: [PBML] builtin

  • Chris Javillonar
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2000
      --- In perl-beginner@egroups.com, Tom Barron <tbarron@m...> wrote:

      > Hi, Chris. It sounds like you need to install or reinstall the perl
      > module builtin. There are instructions for updating modules from
      CPAN
      > (I think for the program you're talking about) at

      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Walker/SEALS/info/read
      mes/update_modules.html

      > hth...
      > Tom

      Tom,
      I have tried downloading the module directly from the CPAN website.
      After reading your suggestions I downloaded it again by using the
      "perl -MCPAN -eshell command." But the program still can't load
      builtin.so. This is what the error message says.

      Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so' for module builtin:
      /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so: undefined symbol: Perl_ppaddr
      at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 200. at
      /home/funnylab/seals/bin/splish line 662.

      Any other suggestions?

      Thanks,

      Chris
    • Chris Javillonar
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 24, 2000
        > Hi, Chris. It sounds like you need to install or reinstall the perl
        > module builtin. There are instructions for updating modules from
        CPAN
        > (I think for the program you're talking about) at

        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Walker/SEALS/info/read
        mes/update_modules.html

        > hth...
        > Tom

        I forgot to add that when I connected to CPAN I got the message:
        Warning: Cannot install builtin, don't know what it is.
        Try the command
        i /builtin/
        This might be why builtin.so is not there. However, the module has
        been installed from the website...so I have the files!

        Thanks,
        Chris
      • Skyward
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 24, 2000
          UNSUBSCRIBE

          > > Hi, Chris. It sounds like you need to install or reinstall the perl
          > > module builtin. There are instructions for updating modules from
          > CPAN
          > > (I think for the program you're talking about) at
          > >

          > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Walker/SEALS/info/read
          > mes/update_modules.html
          > >
          > > hth...
          > > Tom
          >
          > Tom,
          > I have tried downloading the module directly from the CPAN website.
          > After reading your suggestions I downloaded it again by using the
          > "perl -MCPAN -eshell command." But the program still can't load
          > builtin.so. This is what the error message says.
          >
          > Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so' for module builtin:
          > /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so: undefined symbol: Perl_ppaddr
          > at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 200. at
          > /home/funnylab/seals/bin/splish line 662.
          >
          > Any other suggestions?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Chris

          > Enter to WIN one of 10 NEW Kenmore Ranges!
          > Only at sears.com

        • Tom Barron
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 24, 2000
            Chris Javillonar wrote:

            > --- In perl-beginner@egroups.com, Tom Barron <tbarron@m...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, Chris. It sounds like you need to install or reinstall the perl
            > > module builtin. There are instructions for updating modules from
            > CPAN
            > > (I think for the program you're talking about) at
            > >

            > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Walker/SEALS/info/read
            > mes/update_modules.html
            > >
            > > hth...
            > > Tom
            >
            > Tom,
            > I have tried downloading the module directly from the CPAN website.
            > After reading your suggestions I downloaded it again by using the
            > "perl -MCPAN -eshell command." But the program still can't load
            > builtin.so. This is what the error message says.
            >
            > Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so' for module builtin:
            > /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so: undefined symbol: Perl_ppaddr
            > at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 200. at
            > /home/funnylab/seals/bin/splish line 662.
            >
            > Any other suggestions?

            Well, have you looked to see if the file
            /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so exists? If it does not, the
            message above is complaining because it doesn't and what you need to do
            is rebuild builtin.so. Typically, this is accomplished by fetching the
            package, unpacking it, and doing

            perl Makefile.pl
            make
            make install

            You'll probably have to be root at least for the make install.

            If the file *does* exist and is bigger than 0 bytes, the problem is
            probably a version incompatibility between your current version of perl
            and builtin. In that case, I think I'd try dropping back to an earlier
            version of perl.

            hth...
            Tom
          • Chris Javillonar
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 25, 2000
              I have the problem partially solved now. Graham Barr, author of
              builtin, has changed the name of the module to Scalar-Lists-Utils.
              How a new guy like myself was supposed to figure that out is beyond
              me.

              Now the new problem is that I have downloaded and installed the newly
              named files, but the program still asks for builtin, of course. Do I
              need to go to every file that asks for builtin and change the name?
              Is there and easy way to do this?

              Thanks,
              Chris

              > Well, have you looked to see if the file
              > /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so exists? If it does not, the
              > message above is complaining because it doesn't and what you need to
              do
              > is rebuild builtin.so. Typically, this is accomplished by fetching
              the
              > package, unpacking it, and doing
              >
              > perl Makefile.pl
              > make
              > make install
              >
              > You'll probably have to be root at least for the make install.
              >
              > If the file *does* exist and is bigger than 0 bytes, the problem is
              > probably a version incompatibility between your current version of
              perl
              > and builtin. In that case, I think I'd try dropping back to an
              earlier
              > version of perl.
              >
              > hth...
              > Tom
            • Tom Barron
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 25, 2000
                Chris Javillonar wrote:

                > I have the problem partially solved now. Graham Barr, author of
                > builtin, has changed the name of the module to Scalar-Lists-Utils.
                > How a new guy like myself was supposed to figure that out is beyond
                > me.
                >
                > Now the new problem is that I have downloaded and installed the newly
                > named files, but the program still asks for builtin, of course. Do I
                > need to go to every file that asks for builtin and change the name?
                > Is there and easy way to do this?

                Sounds like the easiest thing to do would be to download the updated
                package and rebuild it so you get all the updated code that contains
                calls to the new module. Would that be feasible?

                Tom