Re: [PBML] Automate operation on web sites

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010

      Shlomi> and it is unlikely that a spammer would ask for help on such a
      Shlomi> high-profile, public, archived and open, mailing list. (And if he
      Shlomi> does, he's stupid and will be sacked soon.)

      Maybe he is, and I'm helping him get sacked before damage is done.

      Truly, if you don't see the potential damage you do by naively answering
      questions for dangerous people, you are part of the problem, not part
      of the solution.

      I *must* question whether my knowledge is likely being used for good or evil,
      or I'm being unethical. I ask you to do the same.

      Perl is not trying to win any popularity contests. But Perl *can* damage the
      internet. Be very careful with your tools and your assistance.

    • Shlomi Fish
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
        On Wednesday 27 Jan 2010 18:45:26 merlyn@... wrote:
        > Shlomi> and it is unlikely that a spammer would ask for help on such a
        > Shlomi> high-profile, public, archived and open, mailing list. (And if he
        > Shlomi> does, he's stupid and will be sacked soon.)
        >
        > Maybe he is, and I'm helping him get sacked before damage is done.
        >
        > Truly, if you don't see the potential damage you do by naively answering
        > questions for dangerous people, you are part of the problem, not part
        > of the solution.
        >
        > I *must* question whether my knowledge is likely being used for good or
        > evil, or I'm being unethical. I ask you to do the same.

        Knowledge can be used for good or evil. So can many other tools. You can club
        someone with a hammer or devastate their house. You can use a web browser such
        as Firefox to perform all kinds of nasty activity such as sabotaging wikis or
        posting hate-speech. You can use perl for doing all sorts of nasty activity
        such as sending spam. That does not make perl, Firefox or hammers evil - they
        are just tools.

        I've written a Perl tutorial and placed it online on
        http://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/Perl/Newbies/ under the public domain.
        People can use it to learn Perl and then go on and use that knowledge to
        become spammers, crackers, or other criminals. Should I make sure that only
        benevolent people can read my tutorial, so it won't be abused? People can also
        read your books or other technical and use that knowledge for ill. Trying to
        enforce an ethical use of our tools and knowledge is ridiculous.

        > Perl is not trying to win any popularity contests. But Perl *can* damage
        > the internet. Be very careful with your tools and your assistance.

        The way I see it, we are trying to make Perl as popular as possible. Perl can
        damage the Internet, but so can Python, Ruby, C, Lua, Lisp, Haskell, Erlang,
        Squeak Smalltalk or whatever, and spammers, crackers, phishers and other
        Internet criminals already have all the necessary knowledge for doing that
        without our help. But it's no excuse to accuse innocent people who want to get
        help of having malicious intentions, because this is quite likely going to
        deter them from wanting to learn Perl.

        If someone asks for my help and I help him with doing a task that can have
        many legitimate uses, and they turn out to be a criminal, then I cannot be
        accused of aiding crime. On the other hand, if someone asks for my help and
        he's innocent, and I've started interrogating him about his intentions, then I
        am guilty of not making him feel welcome.

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

      • Mauro Gatti
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
          Just to close the issue...
          I posted a question which I definitely think doesn't brake any rule of the forum.
          People is free to answer, ask for clarification or be silent.
          To imply I am a spammer isn't polite of course but I can survive.
          Anyway I gave my reason without telling anything more (up to now).
          So now, I would like to come back to the matter of my question full stop.

          Thanks

          Regards

          Mauro

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
            On Wednesday 27 Jan 2010 19:57:44 Mauro Gatti wrote:
            > Just to close the issue...
            > I posted a question which I definitely think doesn't brake any rule of the
            > forum. People is free to answer, ask for clarification or be silent.
            > To imply I am a spammer isn't polite of course but I can survive.
            > Anyway I gave my reason without telling anything more (up to now).
            > So now, I would like to come back to the matter of my question full stop.

            Hi Mauro!

            See what Jeff and I told you about it here:

            Regards,

            Shlomi Fish

          • Mauro Gatti
            Message 5 of 11 , May 19, 2010
              Hi all,
              I'm trying to install via CPAN shell the module DBD::JDBC but I get this error:

              CPAN.pm: Going to build V/VI/VIZDOM/DBD-JDBC-0.71.tar.gz

              Checking if your kit is complete...
              Looks good
              Multiple copies of Driver.xst found in: /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI/ /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI/ at Makefile.PL line 22
              Using DBI 1.611 (for perl 5.008008 on x86_64-linux-thread-multi) installed in /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI/
              Writing Makefile for DBD::JDBC
              cp JDBC.pod blib/lib/DBD/JDBC.pod
              cp JDBC.pm blib/lib/DBD/JDBC.pm
              cp lib/Bundle/DBD/JDBC.pm blib/lib/Bundle/DBD/JDBC.pm
              Manifying blib/man3/DBD::JDBC.3pm
              Manifying blib/man3/Bundle::DBD::JDBC.3pm
              VIZDOM/DBD-JDBC-0.71.tar.gz
              /usr/bin/make -- OK
              Running make test
              PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 CLASSPATH=dbd_jdbc.jar:t/hsqldb/hsqldb-1.8.0.2.jar:t/hsqldb/log4j-1.2.13.jar: /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
              t/01_env.t ...... ok
              t/02_connect.t .. 3/5 DBD::JDBC::dr connect warning: No driver found for jdbc:hsqldb:file:t/hsqldb/testdb at /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DBI.pm line 655.

              # Failed test 'connected'
              # at t/02_connect.t line 40.
              # Connection error: No driver found found

              Could you help me to solve this issue?

              Thank You

              Regards

              Mauro