Re: [PBML] Automate operation on web sites

  • Mauro Gatti
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
      I need to automate an application deploy on websphere.
      I can access
      to websphere admin console only (I have no direct access to websphere
      servers) a I would like to automate what I have to do manually
      following the deploy procedure suggested in the console:
      -login to console
      -chose the file to upload
      -setup some configuration parameters
      -continue the process
      -confirm
      -check the result.

      The process can take long time and it's very boring. Moreover it happens to do this more then once a day.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
        Hi Randal!

        On Wednesday 27 Jan 2010 16:44:43 merlyn@... wrote:
        > mauro> I would like to automate, by building some ad-hoc scripts, some
        > operations I have to do at the moment using a web browser. mauro> I would
        > need to:
        > mauro> -login
        > mauro> -select some radio buttons
        > mauro> -fill some field in the web pages
        > mauro> -submit the forms
        > mauro> -check the result
        >
        > mauro> Is perl the right choice to do this?
        > mauro> Is there any CPAN module which could help me doing this?
        >
        > This is exactly what a spammer would do to spam forum posts.
        >
        > Since we don't know you, helping you may be harming the internet.

        There is no need for such tone. Implying that mauro may be a spammer is not
        likely to make him want to learn more about Perl 5. There are many legitimate
        uses to the use case that they described , and it is unlikely that a spammer
        would ask for help on such a high-profile, public, archived and open, mailing
        list. (And if he does, he's stupid and will be sacked soon.)

        > Please elaborate some more about what you are trying to do, and
        > why it has to be done through a web interface instead of talking
        > directly to your databases, etc.

        Well, if I had a web-app, I wouldn't want to futz directly with the database,
        because the logic behind the forms may be complex and communicating with the
        database directly may cause errors.

        Nevertheless, it is possible one's web-application provides a web API (REST,
        SOAP, XML-RPC, etc.) that can be used instead of HTML-scraping. If so, one
        should investigate how to use it instead.

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010

          Shlomi> and it is unlikely that a spammer would ask for help on such a
          Shlomi> high-profile, public, archived and open, mailing list. (And if he
          Shlomi> does, he's stupid and will be sacked soon.)

          Maybe he is, and I'm helping him get sacked before damage is done.

          Truly, if you don't see the potential damage you do by naively answering
          questions for dangerous people, you are part of the problem, not part
          of the solution.

          I *must* question whether my knowledge is likely being used for good or evil,
          or I'm being unethical. I ask you to do the same.

          Perl is not trying to win any popularity contests. But Perl *can* damage the
          internet. Be very careful with your tools and your assistance.

        • Shlomi Fish
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
            On Wednesday 27 Jan 2010 18:45:26 merlyn@... wrote:
            > Shlomi> and it is unlikely that a spammer would ask for help on such a
            > Shlomi> high-profile, public, archived and open, mailing list. (And if he
            > Shlomi> does, he's stupid and will be sacked soon.)
            >
            > Maybe he is, and I'm helping him get sacked before damage is done.
            >
            > Truly, if you don't see the potential damage you do by naively answering
            > questions for dangerous people, you are part of the problem, not part
            > of the solution.
            >
            > I *must* question whether my knowledge is likely being used for good or
            > evil, or I'm being unethical. I ask you to do the same.

            Knowledge can be used for good or evil. So can many other tools. You can club
            someone with a hammer or devastate their house. You can use a web browser such
            as Firefox to perform all kinds of nasty activity such as sabotaging wikis or
            posting hate-speech. You can use perl for doing all sorts of nasty activity
            such as sending spam. That does not make perl, Firefox or hammers evil - they
            are just tools.

            I've written a Perl tutorial and placed it online on
            http://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/Perl/Newbies/ under the public domain.
            People can use it to learn Perl and then go on and use that knowledge to
            become spammers, crackers, or other criminals. Should I make sure that only
            benevolent people can read my tutorial, so it won't be abused? People can also
            read your books or other technical and use that knowledge for ill. Trying to
            enforce an ethical use of our tools and knowledge is ridiculous.

            > Perl is not trying to win any popularity contests. But Perl *can* damage
            > the internet. Be very careful with your tools and your assistance.

            The way I see it, we are trying to make Perl as popular as possible. Perl can
            damage the Internet, but so can Python, Ruby, C, Lua, Lisp, Haskell, Erlang,
            Squeak Smalltalk or whatever, and spammers, crackers, phishers and other
            Internet criminals already have all the necessary knowledge for doing that
            without our help. But it's no excuse to accuse innocent people who want to get
            help of having malicious intentions, because this is quite likely going to
            deter them from wanting to learn Perl.

            If someone asks for my help and I help him with doing a task that can have
            many legitimate uses, and they turn out to be a criminal, then I cannot be
            accused of aiding crime. On the other hand, if someone asks for my help and
            he's innocent, and I've started interrogating him about his intentions, then I
            am guilty of not making him feel welcome.

            Regards,

            Shlomi Fish

          • Mauro Gatti
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
              Just to close the issue...
              I posted a question which I definitely think doesn't brake any rule of the forum.
              People is free to answer, ask for clarification or be silent.
              To imply I am a spammer isn't polite of course but I can survive.
              Anyway I gave my reason without telling anything more (up to now).
              So now, I would like to come back to the matter of my question full stop.

              Thanks

              Regards

              Mauro

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
                On Wednesday 27 Jan 2010 19:57:44 Mauro Gatti wrote:
                > Just to close the issue...
                > I posted a question which I definitely think doesn't brake any rule of the
                > forum. People is free to answer, ask for clarification or be silent.
                > To imply I am a spammer isn't polite of course but I can survive.
                > Anyway I gave my reason without telling anything more (up to now).
                > So now, I would like to come back to the matter of my question full stop.

                Hi Mauro!

                See what Jeff and I told you about it here:

                Regards,

                Shlomi Fish

              • Mauro Gatti
                Message 7 of 11 , May 19 5:32 AM
                  Hi all,
                  I'm trying to install via CPAN shell the module DBD::JDBC but I get this error:

                  CPAN.pm: Going to build V/VI/VIZDOM/DBD-JDBC-0.71.tar.gz

                  Checking if your kit is complete...
                  Looks good
                  Multiple copies of Driver.xst found in: /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI/ /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI/ at Makefile.PL line 22
                  Using DBI 1.611 (for perl 5.008008 on x86_64-linux-thread-multi) installed in /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI/
                  Writing Makefile for DBD::JDBC
                  cp JDBC.pod blib/lib/DBD/JDBC.pod
                  cp JDBC.pm blib/lib/DBD/JDBC.pm
                  cp lib/Bundle/DBD/JDBC.pm blib/lib/Bundle/DBD/JDBC.pm
                  Manifying blib/man3/DBD::JDBC.3pm
                  Manifying blib/man3/Bundle::DBD::JDBC.3pm
                  VIZDOM/DBD-JDBC-0.71.tar.gz
                  /usr/bin/make -- OK
                  Running make test
                  PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 CLASSPATH=dbd_jdbc.jar:t/hsqldb/hsqldb-1.8.0.2.jar:t/hsqldb/log4j-1.2.13.jar: /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
                  t/01_env.t ...... ok
                  t/02_connect.t .. 3/5 DBD::JDBC::dr connect warning: No driver found for jdbc:hsqldb:file:t/hsqldb/testdb at /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DBI.pm line 655.

                  # Failed test 'connected'
                  # at t/02_connect.t line 40.
                  # Connection error: No driver found found

                  Could you help me to solve this issue?

                  Thank You

                  Regards

                  Mauro