Re: [PBML] Perl forking acting wierd

  • Shameem Ahamed
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 26, 2010
      As you can see in the code, i am calling the function Slow_Query_Kill in the child process.

      This function is not getting executed.

      My logic is, create a child process, exit the parent, make child the session leader and run the function Sleep_Query_Kill in the child indefinitely.

      Regards,
      Shameem

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
        Once again.. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT IS NOT GETTING EXECUTED?
        Sorry for the caps, but it's been a trial getting information from you.
        I still don't know how you know it's not getting executed.. but, just
        for kicks.. put a die in your sub and see if it dies.

        - jim

      • Shameem Ahamed
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
          Hello James.

          How i know ?. Because in the Slow query kill function, i am killing all the slow queries. and it is not happening.  I can see the child process running , when i try ps.

          But it is not doing the tasks. I am really confused.

          Shammi

> [...]

          > > > if(! defined($pid) ){

          > > > #Forking Failed, we exit at this point

          > > > die("forking failed\n");

          > > > exit(1);

          > > > }

          > > > if ($pid>0) {

          > > > print LOG "Forking Success. Child PID: $pid \n";

          > > > exit();

          > > > }

          > > > $|=1;

          > > > print LOG "Child Process Executing... \n";

          > > > setsid();

          > > > chdir('/');

          > > > umask(0);

          > > > close(STDIN) ;

          > > > close(STDOUT) ;

          > > > close(STDERR) ;

          > > > }

          > > > I ran in to an issue in this code. In the child process (which becomes the session leader), I am not getting any data logged or the child process is not able to call even the other functions.

        • James Washer
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
            Perhaps it's time to use the perl debugger