Re: [PBML] Perl forking acting wierd

  • James Washer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 26, 2010
      And what did the problem do to lead you to think that it couldn't call
      functions.

    • Shameem Ahamed
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 26, 2010
        As you can see in the code, i am calling the function Slow_Query_Kill in the child process.

        This function is not getting executed.

        My logic is, create a child process, exit the parent, make child the session leader and run the function Sleep_Query_Kill in the child indefinitely.

        Regards,
        Shameem

        And what did the problem do to lead you to think that it couldn't call

        functions.

        On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 00:17 +0530, Shameem Ahamed wrote:

        > LOG was opened before calling the daemon function in the global scope.

        > This is the entire program.

        > I am calling other function after calling daemon , which should be running in child process.

        > open(LOG,">> $LOGFILE") || die("Unable to create Log file $LOGFILE : $! \n Please run as SUPER user");

        > &readConfigXML( $config_file) ;

        > &Daemonize() ;

        > while(1)

        > {

        > &Slow_Query_ Kill();

        > sleep($slowtime)

        > }

        > close(LOG);

        > --- On Wed, 1/27/10, James Washer <washergrp@trlp. com> wrote:

        > From: James Washer <washergrp@trlp. com>

        > Subject: Re: [PBML] Perl forking acting wierd

        > To: perl-beginner@ yahoogroups. com

        > Date: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 12:02 AM

        > Was LOG open?

        > What do you mean it is unable to call other functions?

        > - jim

        > On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 23:49 +0530, Shameem Ahamed wrote:

        > > Hi All,

        > > I have a subroutine to create a daemon, subroutine is pasted below.

        > > ub Daemonize() {

        > > my $pid;

        > > $pid=fork();

        > > if(! defined($pid) ){

        > > #Forking Failed, we exit at this point

        > > die("forking failed\n");

        > > exit(1);

        > > }

        > > if ($pid>0) {

        > > print LOG "Forking Success. Child PID: $pid \n";

        > > exit();

        > > }

        > > $|=1;

        > > print LOG "Child Process Executing... \n";

        > > setsid();

        > > chdir('/');

        > > umask(0);

        > > close(STDIN) ;

        > > close(STDOUT) ;

        > > close(STDERR) ;

        > > }

        > > I ran in to an issue in this code. In the child process (which becomes the session leader), I am not getting any data logged or the child process is not able to call even the other functions.

        > > Can anyone please help me ?.

        > > Shammi

      • James Washer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
          Once again.. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT IS NOT GETTING EXECUTED?
          Sorry for the caps, but it's been a trial getting information from you.
          I still don't know how you know it's not getting executed.. but, just
          for kicks.. put a die in your sub and see if it dies.

          - jim

        • Shameem Ahamed
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
            Hello James.

            How i know ?. Because in the Slow query kill function, i am killing all the slow queries. and it is not happening.  I can see the child process running , when i try ps.

            But it is not doing the tasks. I am really confused.

            Shammi

> [...]

            > > > if(! defined($pid) ){

            > > > #Forking Failed, we exit at this point

            > > > die("forking failed\n");

            > > > exit(1);

            > > > }

            > > > if ($pid>0) {

            > > > print LOG "Forking Success. Child PID: $pid \n";

            > > > exit();

            > > > }

            > > > $|=1;

            > > > print LOG "Child Process Executing... \n";

            > > > setsid();

            > > > chdir('/');

            > > > umask(0);

            > > > close(STDIN) ;

            > > > close(STDOUT) ;

            > > > close(STDERR) ;

            > > > }

            > > > I ran in to an issue in this code. In the child process (which becomes the session leader), I am not getting any data logged or the child process is not able to call even the other functions.

          • James Washer
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
              Perhaps it's time to use the perl debugger