Re: [PBML] Perl forking acting wierd

  • Shameem Ahamed
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 26, 2010
      LOG was opened before calling the daemon function in the global scope.

      This is the entire program.
      I am calling other function after calling daemon , which should be running in child process.

      open(LOG,">> $LOGFILE") || die("Unable to create Log file $LOGFILE : $! \n Please run as SUPER user");

      &readConfigXML($config_file);
      &Daemonize();

      while(1)
      {

      &Slow_Query_Kill();
      sleep($slowtime)
      }

      close(LOG);

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 26, 2010
        And what did the problem do to lead you to think that it couldn't call
        functions.

      • Shameem Ahamed
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2010
          As you can see in the code, i am calling the function Slow_Query_Kill in the child process.

          This function is not getting executed.

          My logic is, create a child process, exit the parent, make child the session leader and run the function Sleep_Query_Kill in the child indefinitely.

          Regards,
          Shameem

          And what did the problem do to lead you to think that it couldn't call

          functions.

          On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 00:17 +0530, Shameem Ahamed wrote:

          > LOG was opened before calling the daemon function in the global scope.

          > This is the entire program.

          > I am calling other function after calling daemon , which should be running in child process.

          > open(LOG,">> $LOGFILE") || die("Unable to create Log file $LOGFILE : $! \n Please run as SUPER user");

          > &readConfigXML( $config_file) ;

          > &Daemonize() ;

          > while(1)

          > {

          > &Slow_Query_ Kill();

          > sleep($slowtime)

          > }

          > close(LOG);

          > --- On Wed, 1/27/10, James Washer <washergrp@trlp. com> wrote:

          > From: James Washer <washergrp@trlp. com>

          > Subject: Re: [PBML] Perl forking acting wierd

          > To: perl-beginner@ yahoogroups. com

          > Date: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 12:02 AM

          > Was LOG open?

          > What do you mean it is unable to call other functions?

          > - jim

          > On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 23:49 +0530, Shameem Ahamed wrote:

          > > Hi All,

          > > I have a subroutine to create a daemon, subroutine is pasted below.

          > > ub Daemonize() {

          > > my $pid;

          > > $pid=fork();

          > > if(! defined($pid) ){

          > > #Forking Failed, we exit at this point

          > > die("forking failed\n");

          > > exit(1);

          > > }

          > > if ($pid>0) {

          > > print LOG "Forking Success. Child PID: $pid \n";

          > > exit();

          > > }

          > > $|=1;

          > > print LOG "Child Process Executing... \n";

          > > setsid();

          > > chdir('/');

          > > umask(0);

          > > close(STDIN) ;

          > > close(STDOUT) ;

          > > close(STDERR) ;

          > > }

          > > I ran in to an issue in this code. In the child process (which becomes the session leader), I am not getting any data logged or the child process is not able to call even the other functions.

          > > Can anyone please help me ?.

          > > Shammi

        • James Washer
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
            Once again.. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT IS NOT GETTING EXECUTED?
            Sorry for the caps, but it's been a trial getting information from you.
            I still don't know how you know it's not getting executed.. but, just
            for kicks.. put a die in your sub and see if it dies.

            - jim

          • Shameem Ahamed
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
              Hello James.

              How i know ?. Because in the Slow query kill function, i am killing all the slow queries. and it is not happening.  I can see the child process running , when i try ps.

              But it is not doing the tasks. I am really confused.

              Shammi

> [...]

              > > > if(! defined($pid) ){

              > > > #Forking Failed, we exit at this point

              > > > die("forking failed\n");

              > > > exit(1);

              > > > }

              > > > if ($pid>0) {

              > > > print LOG "Forking Success. Child PID: $pid \n";

              > > > exit();

              > > > }

              > > > $|=1;

              > > > print LOG "Child Process Executing... \n";

              > > > setsid();

              > > > chdir('/');

              > > > umask(0);

              > > > close(STDIN) ;

              > > > close(STDOUT) ;

              > > > close(STDERR) ;

              > > > }

              > > > I ran in to an issue in this code. In the child process (which becomes the session leader), I am not getting any data logged or the child process is not able to call even the other functions.

            • James Washer
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
                Perhaps it's time to use the perl debugger