Perl script to read

  • GoPi
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010
      Hi friends,

      Hopeeveryone is doing good.

      1.I have an excel sheet in 2003 with columns like below

      A Yes
      B No
      C Yes
      D Yes

      2.I have a file "sample.txt" which contains all the leters like below

      Now,I my objective is to write a perl script to output only the letters that are listed as "Yes" in my excel sheet.Can some pls help to give me a starting point?

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010

        GoPi> 1.I have an excel sheet in 2003 with columns like below

        GoPi> A Yes
        GoPi> B No
        GoPi> C Yes
        GoPi> D Yes

        GoPi> 2.I have a file "sample.txt" which contains all the leters like below

        GoPi> A
        GoPi> B
        GoPi> C
        GoPi> D

        GoPi> Now,I my objective is to write a perl script to output only the letters
        GoPi> that are listed as "Yes" in my excel sheet.Can some pls help to give me
        GoPi> a starting point?

        How much of the documentation for Spreadsheet::ParseExcel have you read and
        understood? Do you have specific questions about that module?

      • Jeff Soules
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010
          I would begin by saving the excel file in a plain text format. Tab-
          delimited would likely work well, if this is a complete description of
          the doc (if there aren't any tabs or anything).

          Then I would read the file in line by line and use split to get the
          two columns (these are 2 columns right?) into separate fields. Use
          regex or string comparison (eq) to see if the second field is yes, and
          if it is, print the first field.

          There are no doubt more robust solutions, but something along these
          lines ought to get you started if it's just a quickie.

          Good luck.

          On Jan 25, 2010, at 8:39 PM, "GoPi" <gopichand84@...> wrote:

          > Hi friends,
          >
          > Hopeeveryone is doing good.
          >
          > 1.I have an excel sheet in 2003 with columns like below
          >
          > A Yes
          > B No
          > C Yes
          > D Yes
          >
          > 2.I have a file "sample.txt" which contains all the leters like below

          > Now,I my objective is to write a perl script to output only the
          > letters that are listed as "Yes" in my excel sheet.Can some pls help
          > to give me a starting point?
          >
          > Thanks

        • gopi chand
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010
            Hi Merlyn ,

            Thanks for the reply.I havent' read that documentation but I started of with a sample pl script I got over the internet but I am getting the following message while running the script
            What am I missing?

            Can't locate Spreadsheet/Read.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C \Program Files\ActiveState Perl Dev Kit 6.0\lib\ /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/cygwin-thread-multi-64int /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/cygwin-thread-multi-64int /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/cygwin-thread-multi-64int /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at sample.pl line 4.

            GoPi> 1.I have an excel sheet in 2003 with columns like below

            GoPi> A Yes

            GoPi> B No

            GoPi> C Yes

            GoPi> D Yes

            GoPi> 2.I have a file "sample.txt" which contains all the leters like below

            GoPi> A

            GoPi> B

            GoPi> C

            GoPi> D

            GoPi> Now,I my objective is to write a perl script to output only the letters

            GoPi> that are listed as "Yes" in my excel sheet.Can some pls help to give me

            GoPi> a starting point?

            How much of the documentation for Spreadsheet: :ParseExcel have you read and

            understood? Do you have specific questions about that module?

            <merlyn@stonehenge. com> <URL:http://www.stonehen ge.com/merlyn/>

            Smalltalk/Perl/ Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.

            See http://methodsandme ssages.vox. com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010

              gopi> What am I missing?

              Looks like you're missing Spreadsheet::Read.

            • gopi chand
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010
                Thanks for the reply Jeff.

                I don't want to print all the letters in the first column which have an "yes" in second column,I only want to print the ones in sample.txt file,how are we taking care of this condition?

                On Jan 25, 2010, at 8:39 PM, "GoPi" <gopichand84@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                > Hi friends,

                > Hopeeveryone is doing good.

                > 1.I have an excel sheet in 2003 with columns like below

                > A Yes

                > B No

                > C Yes

                > D Yes

                > 2.I have a file "sample.txt" which contains all the leters like below

                > Now,I my objective is to write a perl script to output only the

                > letters that are listed as "Yes" in my excel sheet.Can some pls help

                > to give me a starting point?

                > Thanks

              • gopi chand
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010
                  How do I install it?

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010

                    Jeff> I would begin by saving the excel file in a plain text format.

                    No, Perl can read native Excel sheets just fine, thanks to the nice libraries
                    in the CPAN.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010

                      gopi> How do I install it?

                      "perldoc perlmodinstall"

                    • gopi chand
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010
                        I am getting the same error message even after running perldoc perlmodinstall

                        Will the above command install the required mods are do I have read something and install some other commands?Pls let me know

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010
                          On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:14 PM, gopi chand <gopichand84@...> wrote:

                          > I am getting the same error message even after running perldoc perlmodinstall
                          >
                          > Will the above command install the required mods are do I have read something and install some other commands?Pls let me know

                          If you ran perldoc perlmodinstall

                          it should help you find out if

                          a) the module is installed on your system..

                          PREAMBLE
                          First, are you sure that the module isn't already on your
                          system? Try "perl -MFoo -e 1". (Replace "Foo" with the
                          name of the module; for instance, "perl -MCGI::Carp -e 1".

                          Substitute CGI::Carp with the module we are discussing.

                          If it isn't you should read further down on the steps needed to install it.

                          regards,
                          ./fxk

                          --
                          =====
                          Past hissy-fits are not a predictor of future hissy-fits --Nick Holland
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010

                            gopi> I am getting the same error message even after running perldoc perlmodinstall

                            gopi> Will the above command install the required mods are do I have read something and install some other commands?Pls let me know

                            "perldoc perlmodinstall" is instructions to you about how to obtain
                            and install modules. Please read.

                          • Jeff Soules
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 25, 2010
                              > I don't want to print all the letters in the first column which have an "yes" in second column,I only want to print the ones in sample.txt file,how are we taking care of this condition?

                              Ahh. I was wondering how the second file figured in this whole business.
                              Do the order of the letters in the second file matter? i.e. is your goal:

                              if the letter is next to "yes" in your excel file AND
                              the letter appears somewhere in the second file, THEN
                              output the letter?

                              If so, I would read the letters in the second file and load them into
                              a hash (%lettersHash, perhaps.)
                              Then go back and read the excel file through one of the methods
                              discussed previously (the method you choose shouldn't affect your
                              results for the problem as you've described it, There's More Than One
                              Way To Do It, etc).
                              For each row/record of the excel file, if the value of the second
                              column is "yes," check if the value in the first column is in
                              %lettersHash. If it is, output the letter. If not, read the next
                              record.

                              On the other hand, if you want to do something more complicated (like
                              if the order of the second file matters -- say you only output the
                              letter if row N of the excel file says "A Yes" and row N of the second
                              file says "A"), then please describe your problem in more detail.

                              good luck,
                              jeff

                              On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:22 PM, gopi chand <gopichand84@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks for the reply Jeff.
                              >
                              > I don't want to print all the letters in the first column which have an "yes" in second column,I only want to print the ones in sample.txt file,how are we taking care of this condition?

                            • Shlomi Fish
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 26, 2010
                                On Tuesday 26 Jan 2010 04:19:56 gopi chand wrote:
                                > Hi Merlyn ,
                                >
                                > Thanks for the reply.I havent' read that documentation but I started of
                                > with a sample pl script I got over the internet but I am getting the
                                > following message while running the script What am I missing?
                                >
                                > Can't locate Spreadsheet/Read.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C \Program
                                > Files\ActiveState Perl Dev Kit 6.0\lib\
                                > /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/cygwin-thread-multi-64int /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5
                                > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/cygwin-thread-multi-64int
                                > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
                                > /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/cygwin-thread-multi-64int
                                > /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at
                                > sample.pl line 4.

                                Hi Gopi!

                                1. Please read: http://perl-begin.org/topics/cpan/ and be enlightened.

                                2. perl-5.8.5 is really old, you really should upgrade to perl-5.8.9 or
                                perl-5.10.1.

                                Regards,

                                Shlomi Fish

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 26, 2010