Re: [PBML] Sun Solaris modules

  • Shlomi Fish
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2009
      On Saturday 26 Dec 2009 23:49:55 Mike Brown wrote:
      > I'm runnning Solaris 10 x86 on my home server.
      >
      > I just installed 5.10.1 and set up mine and root's path to find the
      > /opt/perl5 location of the installtion.
      >
      > The README.solaris mentions the Solaris modules.
      >
      > Using cpan, I tried to install the modules. The "i /Sun::Solaris/" found
      > some, but not all installed.
      >
      > For example, the "install Sun::Solaris::Project" failed because:
      >
      > t/Project.t .. Can't locate Sun/Solaris/Utils.pm
      >
      > So, I tried the following command: i /Solaris/
      >
      > That returned 103 entries, none of which had Utils as part of the module
      > name.
      >
      > Does anyone know what the module name is that I should install? Normally
      > cpan finds a dependency issue and lists that it needs such and such module.
      > Not this time.
      >
      > Should I install all of the modules listed in the i command, or more
      > importantly, should I even bother installing any of the Solaris modules?

      From what I understand the "Solaris" modules in the CPAN are intended to make
      use of the Solaris-specific APIs. Otherwise, they are not needed and you can
      just the more universal and portable UNIX APIs or those of libraries above
      them (e.g: gtk+).

      Regards,

      Shlomi Fish

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      Freecell Solver - http://fc-solve.berlios.de/

      Bzr is slower than Subversion in combination with Sourceforge.
      ( By: http://dazjorz.com/ )
    • Mike Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 26, 2009
        On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:35:45AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
        > From what I understand the "Solaris" modules in the CPAN are intended to make
        > use of the Solaris-specific APIs. Otherwise, they are not needed and you can
        > just the more universal and portable UNIX APIs or those of libraries above
        > them (e.g: gtk+).

        OK, thanks. For the moment, I'll not bother, as I doubt I'll be doing anything
        specific to need them.

        MB
        --
        e-mail: vidiot@... /~\ The ASCII
        [I've been to Earth. I know where it is. ] \ / Ribbon Campaign