Sun Solaris modules

  • Mike Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2009
      I'm runnning Solaris 10 x86 on my home server.

      I just installed 5.10.1 and set up mine and root's path to find the /opt/perl5
      location of the installtion.

      The README.solaris mentions the Solaris modules.

      Using cpan, I tried to install the modules. The "i /Sun::Solaris/" found
      some, but not all installed.

      For example, the "install Sun::Solaris::Project" failed because:

      t/Project.t .. Can't locate Sun/Solaris/Utils.pm

      So, I tried the following command: i /Solaris/

      That returned 103 entries, none of which had Utils as part of the module name.

      Does anyone know what the module name is that I should install? Normally
      cpan finds a dependency issue and lists that it needs such and such module.
      Not this time.

      Should I install all of the modules listed in the i command, or more
      importantly, should I even bother installing any of the Solaris modules?

      Thanks.

      MB
      --
      e-mail: vidiot@... /~\ The ASCII
      [I've been to Earth. I know where it is. ] \ / Ribbon Campaign
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 26, 2009
        On Saturday 26 Dec 2009 23:49:55 Mike Brown wrote:
        > I'm runnning Solaris 10 x86 on my home server.
        >
        > I just installed 5.10.1 and set up mine and root's path to find the
        > /opt/perl5 location of the installtion.
        >
        > The README.solaris mentions the Solaris modules.
        >
        > Using cpan, I tried to install the modules. The "i /Sun::Solaris/" found
        > some, but not all installed.
        >
        > For example, the "install Sun::Solaris::Project" failed because:
        >
        > t/Project.t .. Can't locate Sun/Solaris/Utils.pm
        >
        > So, I tried the following command: i /Solaris/
        >
        > That returned 103 entries, none of which had Utils as part of the module
        > name.
        >
        > Does anyone know what the module name is that I should install? Normally
        > cpan finds a dependency issue and lists that it needs such and such module.
        > Not this time.
        >
        > Should I install all of the modules listed in the i command, or more
        > importantly, should I even bother installing any of the Solaris modules?

        From what I understand the "Solaris" modules in the CPAN are intended to make
        use of the Solaris-specific APIs. Otherwise, they are not needed and you can
        just the more universal and portable UNIX APIs or those of libraries above
        them (e.g: gtk+).

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

        Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
        Freecell Solver - http://fc-solve.berlios.de/

        Bzr is slower than Subversion in combination with Sourceforge.
        ( By: http://dazjorz.com/ )
      • Mike Brown
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 26, 2009
          On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:35:45AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
          > From what I understand the "Solaris" modules in the CPAN are intended to make
          > use of the Solaris-specific APIs. Otherwise, they are not needed and you can
          > just the more universal and portable UNIX APIs or those of libraries above
          > them (e.g: gtk+).

          OK, thanks. For the moment, I'll not bother, as I doubt I'll be doing anything
          specific to need them.

          MB