Re: [PBML] builtin

  • Tom Barron
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2000
      Chris Javillonar wrote:
      > ... I am a computer literate
      > biochemist who had to setup a dual boot NT, Linux platform to use a
      > research program called SEALS.
      >
      > Builtin is the only module that did not automatically install during
      > the make. I have manually installed it, but the program still says:
      > "Can't load/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so for module builtin."
      >
      > It used to say that it can't locate builtin.pm.

      Hi, Chris. It sounds like you need to install or reinstall the perl
      module builtin. There are instructions for updating modules from CPAN
      (I think for the program you're talking about) at

      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Walker/SEALS/info/readmes/update_modules.html

      hth...
      Tom
    • Chris Javillonar
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 24, 2000
        --- In perl-beginner@egroups.com, Tom Barron <tbarron@m...> wrote:

        > Hi, Chris. It sounds like you need to install or reinstall the perl
        > module builtin. There are instructions for updating modules from
        CPAN
        > (I think for the program you're talking about) at

        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Walker/SEALS/info/read
        mes/update_modules.html

        > hth...
        > Tom

        Tom,
        I have tried downloading the module directly from the CPAN website.
        After reading your suggestions I downloaded it again by using the
        "perl -MCPAN -eshell command." But the program still can't load
        builtin.so. This is what the error message says.

        Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so' for module builtin:
        /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so: undefined symbol: Perl_ppaddr
        at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 200. at
        /home/funnylab/seals/bin/splish line 662.

        Any other suggestions?

        Thanks,

        Chris
      • Chris Javillonar
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 24, 2000
          > Hi, Chris. It sounds like you need to install or reinstall the perl
          > module builtin. There are instructions for updating modules from
          CPAN
          > (I think for the program you're talking about) at

          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Walker/SEALS/info/read
          mes/update_modules.html

          > hth...
          > Tom

          I forgot to add that when I connected to CPAN I got the message:
          Warning: Cannot install builtin, don't know what it is.
          Try the command
          i /builtin/
          This might be why builtin.so is not there. However, the module has
          been installed from the website...so I have the files!

          Thanks,
          Chris
        • Skyward
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 24, 2000
            UNSUBSCRIBE

            > > Hi, Chris. It sounds like you need to install or reinstall the perl
            > > module builtin. There are instructions for updating modules from
            > CPAN
            > > (I think for the program you're talking about) at
            > >

            > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Walker/SEALS/info/read
            > mes/update_modules.html
            > >
            > > hth...
            > > Tom
            >
            > Tom,
            > I have tried downloading the module directly from the CPAN website.
            > After reading your suggestions I downloaded it again by using the
            > "perl -MCPAN -eshell command." But the program still can't load
            > builtin.so. This is what the error message says.
            >
            > Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so' for module builtin:
            > /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so: undefined symbol: Perl_ppaddr
            > at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 200. at
            > /home/funnylab/seals/bin/splish line 662.
            >
            > Any other suggestions?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Chris

            > Enter to WIN one of 10 NEW Kenmore Ranges!
            > Only at sears.com

          • Tom Barron
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 24, 2000
              Chris Javillonar wrote:

              > --- In perl-beginner@egroups.com, Tom Barron <tbarron@m...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi, Chris. It sounds like you need to install or reinstall the perl
              > > module builtin. There are instructions for updating modules from
              > CPAN
              > > (I think for the program you're talking about) at
              > >

              > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Walker/SEALS/info/read
              > mes/update_modules.html
              > >
              > > hth...
              > > Tom
              >
              > Tom,
              > I have tried downloading the module directly from the CPAN website.
              > After reading your suggestions I downloaded it again by using the
              > "perl -MCPAN -eshell command." But the program still can't load
              > builtin.so. This is what the error message says.
              >
              > Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so' for module builtin:
              > /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so: undefined symbol: Perl_ppaddr
              > at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 200. at
              > /home/funnylab/seals/bin/splish line 662.
              >
              > Any other suggestions?

              Well, have you looked to see if the file
              /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so exists? If it does not, the
              message above is complaining because it doesn't and what you need to do
              is rebuild builtin.so. Typically, this is accomplished by fetching the
              package, unpacking it, and doing

              perl Makefile.pl
              make
              make install

              You'll probably have to be root at least for the make install.

              If the file *does* exist and is bigger than 0 bytes, the problem is
              probably a version incompatibility between your current version of perl
              and builtin. In that case, I think I'd try dropping back to an earlier
              version of perl.

              hth...
              Tom
            • Chris Javillonar
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 25, 2000
                I have the problem partially solved now. Graham Barr, author of
                builtin, has changed the name of the module to Scalar-Lists-Utils.
                How a new guy like myself was supposed to figure that out is beyond
                me.

                Now the new problem is that I have downloaded and installed the newly
                named files, but the program still asks for builtin, of course. Do I
                need to go to every file that asks for builtin and change the name?
                Is there and easy way to do this?

                Thanks,
                Chris

                > Well, have you looked to see if the file
                > /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/builtin.so exists? If it does not, the
                > message above is complaining because it doesn't and what you need to
                do
                > is rebuild builtin.so. Typically, this is accomplished by fetching
                the
                > package, unpacking it, and doing
                >
                > perl Makefile.pl
                > make
                > make install
                >
                > You'll probably have to be root at least for the make install.
                >
                > If the file *does* exist and is bigger than 0 bytes, the problem is
                > probably a version incompatibility between your current version of
                perl
                > and builtin. In that case, I think I'd try dropping back to an
                earlier
                > version of perl.
                >
                > hth...
                > Tom
              • Tom Barron
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 25, 2000
                  Chris Javillonar wrote:

                  > I have the problem partially solved now. Graham Barr, author of
                  > builtin, has changed the name of the module to Scalar-Lists-Utils.
                  > How a new guy like myself was supposed to figure that out is beyond
                  > me.
                  >
                  > Now the new problem is that I have downloaded and installed the newly
                  > named files, but the program still asks for builtin, of course. Do I
                  > need to go to every file that asks for builtin and change the name?
                  > Is there and easy way to do this?

                  Sounds like the easiest thing to do would be to download the updated
                  package and rebuild it so you get all the updated code that contains
                  calls to the new module. Would that be feasible?

                  Tom