Re: [PBML] Regular expressions help

  • Jeff Soules
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2009
      On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 6:45 PM, nikhil
      deshpande<deshpandenikhils@...> wrote:
      > Now for a separate part of the same script, I want to extract only the
      > following part of the variable $dir_path and save it in some other variable:

      Generally, the best practice is to use well-tested and
      thoroughly-designed modules to solve problems like these. For sure
      you could come up with a regular expression that ought to mostly work,
      but then you'll come across an edge case that you weren't expecting,
      and things will break.

      For instance, for this problem, I would recommend you look at the
      File::Basename[1] package, and possibly other packages available on
      search.cpan.org.

      Get to know and love CPAN. Many people have come before you, and left
      a lot of code to make your way smoother and clearer. It's only polite
      to try to use what they've contributed : )

      Good luck,
      Jeff

      [1] http://search.cpan.org/~tty/kurila-1.19_0/lib/File/Basename.pm
    • Vivek Kumar
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1 9:05 PM
        Hi Nikhil,

        hope this will resolve your problem

        $dir_path = "/abc/def/ghi/pp123456.2.3.4.jk.xyz";
        $filename = ($dir_path =~ /(.*)\/(.*)\/(.*)\/(.*)/);
        $filename = $4;
        $fileDirectory = $1."/"."$2"."/".$3;
        print $filename;
        print "\n";