Re: [PBML] Find Files in specific Folder but Exclude Subdirectories

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 18, 2009
      >>>>> "hwitche" == hwitche <hwitche@...> writes:

      hwitche> I would have only one wish left for the perl gurus: to implement a
      hwitche> tiny "stop" tag into the line "find(sub {$name{$File: :Find::name} =
      hwitche> -f;}, @ARGV);". It would be much easier.

      Just throw an exception.

      eval {
      find sub {
      die "##done" if $we_want_to_stop;
      }, @starting points;
      };
      die $@ if $@ and $@ !~ /##done/;

    • Jon Reynolds
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 21, 2009
        merlyn@... wrote:

        > Just throw an exception.
        >
        > eval {
        > find sub {
        > die "##done" if $we_want_to_ stop;
        > }, @starting points;
        > };
        > die $@ if $@ and $@ !~ /##done/;

        You never fail to let me know just how far away I am from being a perl
        guru or a beginner, for that matter Randall. But I always get hopeful
        the more your Greek begins to be readable.

        Jon
      • Hans Witschi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25, 2009
          Hi Randal an Jon,

          I respectfully insist:

          I still DREAM of a switch in:

          find(sub {$name{$File::Find::name} = -f;}, @ARGV);

          For now I have a construction with "@exclude=("DIR")", which works well. But
          I don't like it...

          ...and I couldn't fall in love with Randal'solution

          eval {
          find sub {
          die "##done" if $we_want_to_ stop;
          }, @starting points;
          };
          die $@ if $@ and $@ !~ /##done/;

          because it didn't work.

          However, my point is: it is too complicated and too time consuming to list
          directories for exclusion.

          Why so much coding when it could be achieved much easier, having somewhere
          deeper in the perl machine code a stop switch like "stay" in the
          "$File::Find::name" module:

          find(sub {$name{$File::Find::name} = -f;}, @ARGV stay);

          Unimaginable no one had similar thougts so far on that.

          Hans

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 26, 2009

            Hans> Why so much coding when it could be achieved much easier, having somewhere
            Hans> deeper in the perl machine code a stop switch like "stay" in the
            Hans> "$File::Find::name" module:

            Hans> find(sub {$name{$File::Find::name} = -f;}, @ARGV stay);

            What would "stay" do again? Maybe I missed your original
            problem, because my solution aborts *all* crawling mid-stride, when
            you hit a particular place.