default dns server?

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2009
      I'm trying to find out what my primary dns server is, within a perl script. It just happens to be an AD server, and I need to point to it as a AD machine instead of a dns machine, but I thought I'd look up primary dns instead of hard-coding a name or IP. Any suggestions? can't seem to find an answer on google; lots of non-relevant results.

      Thanks!
      Brian
    • wlanie01
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20, 2009
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brianlamere@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to find out what my primary dns server is, within a perl script. It just happens to be an AD server, and I need to point to it as a AD machine instead of a dns machine, but I thought I'd look up primary dns instead of hard-coding a name or IP. Any suggestions? can't seem to find an answer on google; lots of non-relevant results.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Brian

        Is this what you need? Not sure I understand what you are trying to do...
        http://www.net-dns.org/
      • Brian
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20, 2009
          sortof, closest I could find there was Net::DNS::ToolKit::get_ns but that didn't want to work on my machine.

          basically - the system knows what it's name servers are. I just want the script to know too, without just doing something like:

          awk '/server/{print $2}' /etc/resolv.conf

          I prefer not to use qx// or system() if I don't have to?

          I did try:

          http://search.cpan.org/~olaf/Net-DNS-0.65/lib/Net/DNS.pm#Find_the_nameservers_for_a_domain.

          but what that seems to actually do is query the nameserver for a list of nameservers. How does it query the nameserver? It just knows what my ns is from /etc/resolv.conf, and asks that guy. I don't want that, I just want it to tell me what is in resolv.conf. I'd like something that works well enough on other platforms too; I don't want to assume an /etc/resolv.conf

          maybe I'm just making it more complicated than it needs to be, though?

          Brian

          but that gave me the roothints servers - it responded with