Re: [PBML] Please help to correct the perl program?

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2009
      >>>>> "sajan" == sajan c r <sajan_c_r@...> writes:

      sajan> sir, i need to find one string from paragraph and to convert all the
      sajan> letters in paragraph to 'X', except that string. can anyone help to
      sajan> correct it. i have used string matching and wrote a program. i have
      sajan> used

      Sounds like a great homework problem. Why don't you ask your instructor,
      rather than asking us to help you cheat?

    • mrkcoconnell
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 25, 2009
        Hi Sajan,
        I am working on this problem and I found all that I could get out of
        $para was the number of substitutions.
        The way this seems to work is on the variable $_ which is the generic
        variable.
        When I printed out the $_ I found that my substitution was successful.
        I'll keep working and let you know what I find.
        Kevin
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "sajan_c_r" <sajan_c_r@...>
        wrote:

        > sir, i need to find one string from paragraph and to convert all the
        > letters in paragraph to 'X', except that string. can anyone help to
        > correct it. i have used string matching and wrote a program. i have
        > used
        >
        > $para=~ s/$string/X/g
        >
        > then the string itself changing to X. pls help anynone.
        >
        > thanks in advance.

      • David Francos (XayOn)
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 25, 2009
          On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 04:54:40PM -0000, mrkcoconnell wrote:
          > Hi Sajan,
          > I am working on this problem and I found all that I could get out of
          > $para was the number of substitutions.
          > The way this seems to work is on the variable $_ which is the generic
          > variable.
          > When I printed out the $_ I found that my substitution was successful.
          > I'll keep working and let you know what I find.
          > Kevin
          > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "sajan_c_r" <sajan_c_r@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > sir, i need to find one string from paragraph and to convert all the
          > > letters in paragraph to 'X', except that string. can anyone help to
          > > correct it. i have used string matching and wrote a program. i have
          > > used
          > >
          > > $para=~ s/$string/X/g
          Ok. So I assume you want $para=~s/[^$string]/X/g; ... just a ^ to look
          for non-matching things.
          > > then the string itself changing to X. pls help anynone.
          > > thanks in advance.

          http://thexayon.wordpress.com

          Que la fuerza os acompaƱe.

          --XayOn--

          Linux registered user #446872

        • Jeff Pinyan
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 25, 2009
            On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:54 AM, mrkcoconnell <mrkcoconnell@...>wrote:

            > I am working on this problem and I found all that I could get out of
            > $para was the number of substitutions.
            > The way this seems to work is on the variable $_ which is the generic
            > variable.
            > When I printed out the $_ I found that my substitution was successful.
            > I'll keep working and let you know what I find.

            That's because you're doing:

            $para = s/something/X/g;

            instead of

            $para =~ s/something/X/g;

            You're using the = operator instead of the =~ operator.

            --
            The Cross Reference - http://thecrossreference.blogspot.com/
            Critical Mass (The Science of the Liturgy) -

            [Mary said,] "Do whatever he tells you." ~ John 2:5