CSV processing: Text::CSV Vs DBD::CSV

  • YogS
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2008
      I process CSV a lot using my traditional split mechanism. Now i realised two
      modules are present for processing CSV.

      To filter some data from CSV file.. what module should be usedText::CSV or
      DBD::CSV. Which is better and why...?

      Appreciate any help.

      --
      Thanx
      YogS

    • Jenda Krynicky
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2008
        From: YogS <mail2yogs@...>
        > I process CSV a lot using my traditional split mechanism. Now i realised two
        > modules are present for processing CSV.
        >
        > To filter some data from CSV file.. what module should be usedText::CSV or
        > DBD::CSV. Which is better and why...?

        There's also Text::CSV_XS.

        Which one is better depends on your needs. If you just need to read
        and process the whole CSV, you'll find Text::CSV_XS the quickest. If
        you need to do some filtering and/or grouping or join data from two
        or more CSVs and do know SQL then DBI+DBD::CSV will be easier.

        Jenda
        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
      • YogS
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2009
          Hello Jenda,
          Thanks for your response.

          I am comfortable with SQL so I'll try that option too...

          --
          YogS