Warning from a moderator (was: Re: [PBML] Good website)

  • Rob Richardson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2008
      Greetings!

      I joined this list a few years ago, when I was struggling with a
      massive modification to a web site driven by Perl. I saw that the
      list was having problems with spammers, and I volunteered to become a
      moderator for only one reason: to quickly ban members who post
      inappropriate messages. Although I am no longer a Perl programmer, I
      have continued to serve as a moderator because I believe I am
      contributing a valuable service.

      This group is for discussion of the Perl programming language. As I
      understand my mandate from the group owner, if a message is not
      related to Perl, the member is to be banned without warning and
      without question, regardless of the value of any previous
      contributions to the list.

      I don't have time to think about whether or not a member should be
      banned. Normally, if I see an off-topic message, the members is gone.
      Period. End of story. I don't have time to check to see if the
      poster has been a valuable member. I don't have time to consider
      whether I should just send him a warning message. If I see an
      off-topic message, the message is removed and the poster is banned
      inside a minute.

      Since I am at home now, I had a bit of time to check to see who posted
      the "Good website" message. I see that he's been a member for four
      years, but not active. So, instead of banning him immediately, I am
      taking the opportunity to send a public warning to the list. Keep
      discussions on topic. Off-topic posts will result in immediate
      removal from the list, merely because I don't have time to consider
      individual cases.

      Rob Richardson