Re: [PBML] Use of dollar signs before subroutine definition

  • Jeff Pinyan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2008
      On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:07 PM, Kelly Jones
      <kelly.terry.jones@...>wrote:

      > I saw something like this in a mimedefang tutorial:
      >
      > sub foo ($$$$) {return 1;}
      >
      > By trial and error, I discovered this means: foo takes EXACTLY four
      > arguments, no less, no more.
      >
      > Where can I learn more about this syntax/feature?

      This is called "function prototyping" and can be found in the
      *perlsub*(Perl subroutine) documentation on your system, accessible
      via the command:

      *perldoc perlsub*

      Prototyping is rarely *necessary* and you can get by without it.

      --
      [Mary said,] "Do whatever he tells you." ~ John 2:5
      The Cross Reference - http://thecrossreference.blogspot.com/

    • Urban Gabor
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2008
        Hi,

        it is called function (subroutine) prototyping. If you need I will dig up some more info for you. Contact me privately.

        Gabaux
        Linux is like a wigwam: no gates, no windows, and an apache inside!

        Kelly Jones <kelly.terry.jones@...> �rta: