Re: [PBML] Perl Dev Kit Pro

  • Jenda Krynicky
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2008
      From: "slick.user" <slick.user@...>
      > I want to convert my perl script to an executable format.
      >
      > If I have game.pl in Perl script. I can convert to game.exe.
      > How can can I make game.exe to become an 'game' executable in command
      > prompt from any where. Currently, it only work with game.exe in the
      > current directory only.
      >
      > I guess I can move game.exe to C:\Windows\ or C:\Windows\system.. ?

      Don't. This is not a Perl question, but anyway. What you need to do
      is to either put the game.exe into one of the directories listed in
      the PATH system variable (See "SET PATH" in the Command Prompt) or
      add the directory where your game.exe resides to PATH. How to do that
      depends on your OS, Microsoft tends to change the place and tries to
      hide this. It used to be somewhere in My Computer properties /
      Advanced / Environment or something.

      If all you want is to be able to start the game from any directory
      you do not actuall have to convert it to an .exe. You can likewise
      instruct cmd.exe to include *.pl in the search through PATH. Just add
      ;.pl at the end of the PATHEXT variable. And then if you type
      c:\> game
      cmd.exe will search through all directories in PATH for game.com,
      game.exe, game.bat, game.cmd, game.vbs, ..., game.pl

      Or you can "register the application" with
      http://jenda.krynicky.cz/#regapp

      HTH, Jenda
      -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery