Naming Covention

  • rvidya_19812003
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2008
      Hi,

      I want to know about the idea of file naming convention. I am working
      with windows based. How to convert the files in one folder with naming
      like ".html to .xml extension. Any body send the coding or idea about
      it.

      Thanks,
      Vidya.R
    • VIJAY KUMAR
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2008
        I couldn't understand your requirement. can you explain it clearly?

        I want to know about the idea of file naming convention. I am working
        with windows based. How to convert the files in one folder with naming
        like ".html to .xml extension. Any body send the coding or idea about
        it.

        Thanks,
        Vidya.R

        Explore your hobbies and interests. Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/

      • srinivas reddy
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2008
          In Shell, we can do this:

          I have files with extension .txt in a directory,, below code will rename
          those files with .html extensions..

          foreach i ( ` ls *.txt | tr -d '.txt' '' ` )
          foreach? mv $i.txt $i.html
          foreach? end

          ===========

          On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:59 AM, VIJAY KUMAR <mp_vijayakumar@...>
          wrote:

          > I couldn't understand your requirement. can you explain it clearly?
          >
          > --- On Sat, 14/6/08, rvidya_19812003 <rvidya_19812003@...<rvidya_19812003%40yahoo.co.in>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: rvidya_19812003 <rvidya_19812003@...<rvidya_19812003%40yahoo.co.in>
          > >
          > Subject: [PBML] Naming Covention
          > To: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com <perl-beginner%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Saturday, 14 June, 2008, 3:26 PM
          >

          > Hi,
          >
          > I want to know about the idea of file naming convention. I am working
          > with windows based. How to convert the files in one folder with naming
          > like ".html to .xml extension. Any body send the coding or idea about
          > it.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Vidya.R
          >
          > Explore your hobbies and interests. Go to
          > http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/

          -SrINIvAS ReDdY....

        • Anil Kumar BN
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2008
            hi

            u can do it in dos promt also

            copy *.html *.xml
            copy *.html c:\hi\*.xml

            Regards
            Anil Kumar

            wrote:

            > I couldn't understand your requirement. can you explain it clearly?
            >
            > --- On Sat, 14/6/08, rvidya_19812003 <rvidya_19812003@...<rvidya_19812003%40yahoo.co.in>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > From: rvidya_19812003 <rvidya_19812003@...<rvidya_19812003%40yahoo.co.in>
            > >
            > Subject: [PBML] Naming Covention
            > To: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com <perl-beginner%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Saturday, 14 June, 2008, 3:26 PM
            >

            > Hi,
            >
            > I want to know about the idea of file naming convention. I am working
            > with windows based. How to convert the files in one folder with naming
            > like ".html to .xml extension. Any body send the coding or idea about
            > it.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Vidya.R
            >
            > Explore your hobbies and interests. Go to
            > http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/

            -SrINIvAS ReDdY....

          • C.Y./J.E. Cripps
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 17, 2008
              On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Anil Kumar BN wrote:
              > u can do it in dos promt also
              <snip>

              and someone else earlier suggested>
              > In Shell, we can do this:
              <snip>

              > > I want to know about the idea of file naming convention.

              perldoc -q rename

              will direct one's attention to perlfaq5 which is
              1. on topic for this list and 2. relevant to those of
              us who might not benefit from either of the above suggestions,
              A look at :

              perlport - perldoc.perl.org
              http://perldoc.perl.org/perlport.html#Supported-Platforms

              will reveal that there may be more of the latter than one
              might suspect.