Re: Perl Learning Tool

  • Elizabeth Barnwell
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2008
      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Barnwell"
      <elizabethbarnwell@...> wrote:

      > Here is a set of flashcards our developers have been using to learn
      > Perl with very good results:
      >
      > http://www.yoyobrain.com/subjects/show/3121
      >
      > We are trying to improve the quality of the content so we can provide
      > a resource to the community. I'm grateful for any feedback on errors,
      > omissions or oversights. Feel free to ask any questions as well.
      >

      > Hope it finds you well!
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Elizabeth

      Forgot to add- add the subject to your study materials, click on try a
      learning drill, it will quiz you on the information. We've had success
      in mastering the material this way, which in turn allows us to work
      more efficiently...

      Best,

      Elizabeth
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2008

        Elizabeth> We are trying to improve the quality of the content so we can
        Elizabeth> provide a resource to the community. I'm grateful for any feedback
        Elizabeth> on errors, omissions or oversights. Feel free to ask any questions
        Elizabeth> as well.

        Intro:

        Second slide - statements do not always end with semicolon,
        such as a construct like an if statement or a while statement,
        or the last statement inside a block.

        Third slide - "man" can also be used on correctly configuring systems.

        Fourth slide - it's '-w' not '-e'.

        Scalars:

        x = x + 10... where's the dollar signs?

        In fact, in general, I see many later slides that fail to use a dollar
        sign. Do you even *know* Perl?

        And then after reviewing a dozen more slides I stopped.

        You are taking this directly from the "Learning Perl" book, I see.
        (Since I *am* very familar with that book, having taught this class
        dozens of times.)

        Would you at least have the courtesy of saying so?