Perl Learning Tool

  • Elizabeth Barnwell
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2008
      Here is a set of flashcards our developers have been using to learn
      Perl with very good results:

      http://www.yoyobrain.com/subjects/show/3121

      We are trying to improve the quality of the content so we can provide
      a resource to the community. I'm grateful for any feedback on errors,
      omissions or oversights. Feel free to ask any questions as well.

      Hope it finds you well!

      Best,

      Elizabeth
    • Elizabeth Barnwell
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2008
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Barnwell"
        <elizabethbarnwell@...> wrote:

        > Here is a set of flashcards our developers have been using to learn
        > Perl with very good results:
        >
        > http://www.yoyobrain.com/subjects/show/3121
        >
        > We are trying to improve the quality of the content so we can provide
        > a resource to the community. I'm grateful for any feedback on errors,
        > omissions or oversights. Feel free to ask any questions as well.
        >

        > Hope it finds you well!
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Elizabeth

        Forgot to add- add the subject to your study materials, click on try a
        learning drill, it will quiz you on the information. We've had success
        in mastering the material this way, which in turn allows us to work
        more efficiently...

        Best,

        Elizabeth
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2008

          Elizabeth> We are trying to improve the quality of the content so we can
          Elizabeth> provide a resource to the community. I'm grateful for any feedback
          Elizabeth> on errors, omissions or oversights. Feel free to ask any questions
          Elizabeth> as well.

          Intro:

          Second slide - statements do not always end with semicolon,
          such as a construct like an if statement or a while statement,
          or the last statement inside a block.

          Third slide - "man" can also be used on correctly configuring systems.

          Fourth slide - it's '-w' not '-e'.

          Scalars:

          x = x + 10... where's the dollar signs?

          In fact, in general, I see many later slides that fail to use a dollar
          sign. Do you even *know* Perl?

          And then after reviewing a dozen more slides I stopped.

          You are taking this directly from the "Learning Perl" book, I see.
          (Since I *am* very familar with that book, having taught this class
          dozens of times.)

          Would you at least have the courtesy of saying so?