Re: no repeats

  • draktrax
    Message 1 of 8 , May 29, 2008

      > draktrax> The construct you presented, while helpful, is not
      > draktrax> shown in my book until after the exercise I'm working on.
      >
      > Therefore, you are asking us to cheat with your homework.
      >
      > That's unethical. You should be ashamed.
      >
      > Ask your teacher for more understanding, not us for a crutch.

      777 0095
      > See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside
      discussion

      Since I am my own teacher and my text is Ellie Quigley's Perl by
      Example 4th Ed.; and given the fact that I have pored over the first
      seven chapters to find a solution; I must be a brick wall.
      Not only do I not see the solution,I thought I had joined a BEGINNING
      Perl forum. Instead, I get patronization and condecending remarks.
      And code snippets that are FAR beyond what I would call beginner.
      If this is the way beginners are treated, then remove my name, please.

      Thank You, Donald R. Korrecta
      Message 2 of 8 , May 29, 2008

        draktrax> Since I am my own teacher and my text is Ellie Quigley's Perl by
        draktrax> Example 4th Ed.;

        You didn't do anything to disclose that, and if you look at the history of
        this list, you will find that the majority of people talking about exercises
        are in fact would-be cheaters.

        I apologize for miscategorizing you, as you are the exception, not the rule.

        However, if someone answers your question with constructs you haven't yet
        seen, it'd be better to learn what those constructs are, rather than say "no,
        that can't be the answer". Your learning will progress quicker.

      • C.Y./J.E. Cripps
        Message 3 of 8 , May 29, 2008
          cycjec>> I was actually using:

          >> $ perl -lane 'print if /unique/;'

          which of course needs a file name as an argument

          If one suspects what one wants is in the chap007.pl file

          $ perl -lane 'print if /MYTAG/;' chap007.pl

          To check several files with similar names

          $ perl -lane 'print if /MYTAG/;' chap00*

          And a solitary star * will check all files in the current directory.