Re: [PBML] Need help with mysterious code!!

  • Tom Barron
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2000
      Dan Boger wrote:

      > Ingenue wrote:
      > yes, that's all very true - I don't think you should write code like
      > this. However, I still don't know why the two programs work in
      > different ways..

      They don't work in different ways on my machine. With both programs,
      t.txt winds up truncated to 0 bytes. One possibility I can think of is
      that perhaps in program 2, Antonio had left off the final line
      terminator and Perl was not processing the last line so that the close
      never happened. Something like that might explain it.

      In any case, Antonio, if you're wanting to add information to t.txt
      without losing what's already there, you need to use the append operator
      ">>" when you open the file as Ingenue pointed out.

      rgds,
      Tom
    • Ingenue
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21, 2000
        They don't work in different ways -- they both delete file's contents and
        create an empty file (not literally, but to the end-user).

        He just didn't run his program correctly or is on drugs.

        [root@operations /home/nikita]# more t.txt
        1
        2
        3