Re: The bind command.

  • wlanie01
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2008
      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Dukelow, Don" <dukelow@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm going through the book "Perl by Example" by Ellie Quigley. In
      chapter 20 the first to server/client examples don't work. I first
      tried it on a HP UX system and the server program just
      wouldn't "fork". All I get is the die if fork fails error.
      > Since the book says the program was tested on a Sun UNIX I
      tried it on a Solaris 10 system and I get the error.

      > ./server1
      >
      > Server startrd
      >
      > Socket OK!
      > Bind Address family not supported by protocol family
      >
      > I thought that base Perl came with the Socket.pm and that bind was
      part of it.

      > What am I missing?
      > -----
      > Don Dukelow
      > HP License Team
      > Hewlett-Packard Company
      > Tel: 810-728-3388
      > e-mail: dukelow@...

      Do you specify the address family in your socket creation?
      10047 Address family not supported by protocol family.

      An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used. All
      sockets are created with an associated "address family" (i.e.
      AF_INET for Internet Protocols) and a generic protocol type (i.e.
      SOCK_STREAM). This error will be returned if an incorrect protocol
      is explicitly requested in the socket() call, or if an address of
      the wrong family is used for a socket, e.g. in sendto().