The bind command.

  • Dukelow, Don
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2008
      I'm going through the book "Perl by Example" by Ellie Quigley. In chapter 20 the first to server/client examples don't work. I first tried it on a HP UX system and the server program just wouldn't "fork". All I get is the die if fork fails error.
      Since the book says the program was tested on a Sun UNIX I tried it on a Solaris 10 system and I get the error.

      ./server1

      Server startrd

      Socket OK!
      Bind Address family not supported by protocol family

      I thought that base Perl came with the Socket.pm and that bind was part of it.

      What am I missing?
      -----
      Don Dukelow
      HP License Team
      Hewlett-Packard Company
      Tel: 810-728-3388
      e-mail: dukelow@...

    • wlanie01
      Message 2 of 2 , May 7, 2008
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Dukelow, Don" <dukelow@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm going through the book "Perl by Example" by Ellie Quigley. In
        chapter 20 the first to server/client examples don't work. I first
        tried it on a HP UX system and the server program just
        wouldn't "fork". All I get is the die if fork fails error.
        > Since the book says the program was tested on a Sun UNIX I
        tried it on a Solaris 10 system and I get the error.

        > ./server1
        >
        > Server startrd
        >
        > Socket OK!
        > Bind Address family not supported by protocol family
        >
        > I thought that base Perl came with the Socket.pm and that bind was
        part of it.

        > What am I missing?
        > -----
        > Don Dukelow
        > HP License Team
        > Hewlett-Packard Company
        > Tel: 810-728-3388
        > e-mail: dukelow@...

        Do you specify the address family in your socket creation?
        10047 Address family not supported by protocol family.

        An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used. All
        sockets are created with an associated "address family" (i.e.
        AF_INET for Internet Protocols) and a generic protocol type (i.e.
        SOCK_STREAM). This error will be returned if an incorrect protocol
        is explicitly requested in the socket() call, or if an address of
        the wrong family is used for a socket, e.g. in sendto().