Urgent : Installing DBI and Using MySQL with Perl in Linux (FC-2)

  • newlinuxday07
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2008
      Hi All,

      I am a new member of this group.

      I am trying to install MySQL.
      to do this, we need to install 3 softwares like DBI, ShowTable and
      MySQL DBD module.

      I create a directory in /root/Install/ Perl_DB/ and download all 3
      tar
      files here.

      1. extract these here using tar xvfz DBI-1.15.tar. gz
      2. generate the "Makefile":
      cd DBI-1.15.tar. gz
      perl Makefile.PL
      3. make
      4. make test
      5. make install

      I am able to sucessfully install DBI and ShowTable softwares with
      same
      procedure but I m getting an error while installing the MySQL DBD
      module.

      On installing Msql-Mysql-modules- 1.2219 software, while doing step 2
      (generate the "Makefile")
      perl Makefile.PL

      Now, it is asking some input from user when I provide this I got the
      following error :
      ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* *********
      ********* ****
      Where is your MySQL installed? Please tell me the directory that
      contains the subdir 'include'. [/usr/local] /usr

      Cannot find one of include/mysql/ mysql.h, include/mysql. h in /usr
      at
      lib/DBD/mysql/ Install.pm line 165, <STDIN> line 3.
      ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* *********
      ********* ****.
      when I check my /usr/include dir, there was no "mysql.h" file, where
      can find this file. Or wat input I can give for this question.

      How to overcome this error to sucessful installation MySQL on my
      system.

      Thanks in Advance
      Akash
    • Mike Southern
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2008
        On 4/8/08 1:50 AM, newlinuxday07 at newlinuxday07@... wrote:

        > Now, it is asking some input from user when I provide this I got the
        > following error :
        > ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* *********
        > ********* ****
        > Where is your MySQL installed? Please tell me the directory that
        > contains the subdir 'include'. [/usr/local] /usr
        >
        > Cannot find one of include/mysql/ mysql.h, include/mysql. h in /usr
        > at
        > lib/DBD/mysql/ Install.pm line 165, <STDIN> line 3.
        > ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* *********
        > ********* ****.
        > when I check my /usr/include dir, there was no "mysql.h" file, where
        > can find this file. Or wat input I can give for this question.

        You need to have installed MySql on your system before you attempt the DBD
        installation. Installing MySql will provide you with the missing files.
      • Newday New
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2008
          Hi Mike,

          Thanks for ur immediate support.

          In Order to install MySQL on my system I did the following steps..

          I downloaded the mysql-5.051a.tar.gz package in /usr/local
          extract this package here and create a softlink as "mysql" for "mysql-5.051a" folder.

          Now, to install MySQL we have to run the following command
          presently we are in path /usr/local/mysql/ as a root

          # pwd
          # /usr/local/mysql
          # cd scripts
          # ./mysql_install_db.sh
          FATAL ERROR: Could not find @bindir@/my_print_defaults

          If you are using a binary release, you must run this script from within the directory the archive extracted into. If you compiled MySQL yourself you must run 'make install' first.

          how I can run this command to install MySQL.

          Thanks in Advance
          Akash